6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 10:22 PM by embeco

FileMaker Pro 15 Windows

embeco

I am assuming that the beautiful frameless windows that we see in the training and numerous examples here in the community are only available when running under the Apple OS? I have been trying to open a "frameless" window under Windows 10 without success.

Also: Has the "Maximize window" problem been resolved in 15? As long as I don't create a window, I can operate in a maximize world (giving me more screen space and not having to worry about the user clicking on the red X and shutting down the whole app) but as soon as I launch a help screen (in a window so it displays on top of the current screen), I get a window frame around my maximized screen. I then have to close the help window and re-issue an Adjust Window command to get back into maximize. Not pretty bouncing out of and back into maximize.

Do I just have to resign myself to having a "frame" around every screen in the app?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
          planteg

Hi embeco,

by "frameless" window, do you mean "thin border" windows ? The width of the borders' with are a characteristic of the Windows OS

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
            mikebeargie
            I am assuming that the beautiful frameless windows that we see in the training and numerous examples here in the community are only available when running under the Apple OS? I have been trying to open a "frameless" window under Windows 10 without success.

Your assumption is correct, at least for now. Until more recently, application windows in windows were a bit inflexible. FMI is well aware of the demand for multiple independent applications windows for windows OS and it has been a long standing feature request.

Also: Has the "Maximize window" problem been resolved in 15? As long as I don't create a window, I can operate in a maximize world (giving me more screen space and not having to worry about the user clicking on the red X and shutting down the whole app) but as soon as I launch a help screen (in a window so it displays on top of the current screen), I get a window frame around my maximized screen. I then have to close the help window and re-issue an Adjust Window command to get back into maximize. Not pretty bouncing out of and back into maximize.

This isn't necessarily a problem due to the given note above. That's really how multiple sub-windows behave. There is no window change behavior for windowsOS between 14 and 15 as far as I am aware.

Do I just have to resign myself to having a "frame" around every screen in the app?

Until filemaker supports independent application windows for windows OS, then yes.

Traditionally I've always kept windows users in a single view. FileMaker does do a good job of remembering context if you need to switch layouts for something and come back. EG found set, sort order and record position are all maintained.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
              mikebeargie

He means like this:

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/filemaker-pro-14/9781491917473/httpatomoreillycomsourceoreillyimages21920…

Where multiple filemaker "windows" are contained in the larger filemaker application window.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
                planteg

Ok !

I was not sure if he was talking about FileMaker main window. I don't know how they eventually plan to change this, but I think that the app may have it's main window, like all other applications (most of them) on Windows. There are exceptions, for example Gimp where it has a main window containing everything else, or not, depending of a preference.

Microsoft Access has a main Window, I always hate that because it adds something not needed.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
                  embeco

Yes. A pencil thin boarder without minimize-maximize-exit buttons or the

stuff along the bottom.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Windows
                    embeco

Thanks, Mike. I was afraid this was going to be the response.

Steve