9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 7:21 AM by gdurniak

What to do with Corrupted file

petery009

Hi All

I just recently recovered one file, and got the message : "...The recovered file should NOT be used going forward;..."

The problem is i can not find a good copy of the database which has the current structure. All copies are either too old or same problem.

Can someone give me some advice what should i do now ?

Thanks.

Peter

• 1. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
          TSPigeon

petery009:

Thank you for your post!

Aside of rebuilding the file from scratch you might see: What to do when your file is corrupt

I have also seen luck in Saving a Clone of the file, running Recover on the Clone. If all is well, reimport the data.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
            petery009

Thanks for quick respond. TSPigenon.

I did read the article. and i have no luck with the clone or compacted file.

Any reason cause the corruption, can not see anything from the log ? should i keep using the file? probably not i guess. But hard to imagine to rebuild it from a good old copy !

• 3. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
              wimdecorte

A file can get corrupted for many reasons, usually it is from not following any or some of the best practices.  Was this a hosted file?

If so, scrutinize the deployment against the best practices and ask questions here if those raise questions.

• 4. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                petery009

Thanks, wimdecorte.

Yes, it's hosted on FileMaker server 14.

For deployment, l used to do this and i kind of know it's not so good now.

* To upload the file : copy the file and paste to Data\Database folder rather than using the filemaker pro

anyway, this is one.

And i will keep update when i remember more.

• 5. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                  gdurniak

Did anyone at Filemaker review the Recover Log ?

The file might not be that bad

greg

> I hope this helps !

• 6. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                    philmodjunk

It should be possible to review the log and tell what items were flagged as being the source of the warning. There's a column with a number in it and when this value changes to something else, it usually indicates an error and the text to the right then says something like "object A changed"  or such.

You might find that you can delete the object named in that log entry from a copy of your file, and then find that it recovers cleanly. If so, you can then take that copy of the file and rebuild from scratch the part that you removed. That's a pain, but a much smaller pain than starting over from scratch.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                      petery009

Thanks philmodjunk and greg!

I will review the log more. and report to see if i found anything.

• 8. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                        petery009

Hi philmodjunk

After your suggestion and hint, i go back to the recover.log , did a find on word "change".

Find something like this , 0 Recovering: field "FieldA" , 8477 Calculation modified, 8476 This item changed.

Then i went to the system, found this field is a container type not even a calculation. (could be a calculation first then changed to container and use script do the set value)

Then open the auto calculation i saw there're some calculation in there and have a<function missing> part in it. (this is due to a plugin we use for chart).

Then i cleared the calculation and run the recover again, it passed !!!

What i learned most from this one is , the Recover.log is very helpful ! (also only when someone point you to it !)

Thanks a lot!!

• 9. Re: What to do with Corrupted file
                          gdurniak

Now perhaps you can explain what you did to TSPigeon, at Tech Support  :-)

greg

> What i learned most from this one is , the Recover.log is very helpful !