4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 8:45 AM by TravisButler

Server 15.0.2 update problem on WinServer 2012

TravisButler

Trying to install the 15.0.2 update on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, and having problems that appear to be related to the Java update installer.

When I try to run the 15.0.2 update installer, and enter the administration account username/password, I get the 'Installing Java 8 v101' progress dialog. Then the dialog goes away, the rest of the install process doesn't complete, and rebooting the server shows 15.0.1 still installed.

I've tried uninstalling Java completely using the Programs and Features control panel, in case there was a corruption issue with the prior install; unfortunately, after rebooting, the 15.0.2 installer still fails at the 'Installing Java' dialog, and now the Filemaker server process won't start at all.

I've also tried downloading the standalone Java 8 v111 installer from the Oracle website, to install directly in case the problem was the Java installer built into the 15.0.2 update; that also fails, with an error 1603.

Any help or suggestions? So far, none of the suggestions I've found searching for Java install 1603 error have worked.

• 1. Re: Server 15.0.2 update problem on WinServer 2012
          TSGal

TravisButler:

Thank you for your post.

Is FileMaker Server 15.0.1 installed on a drive other than the C: drive?

Is the updater being launched from the C: drive or another drive?  If another drive, move the updater to the C: drive and try again.

If you still have difficulty with the updater, uninstall FileMaker Server 15.0.1, and then download and install the full version of FileMaker Server 15.0.2.  Your original email will now point to the full version of FileMaker Server 15.0.2.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server 15.0.2 update problem on WinServer 2012
            TravisButler

Thank you for your reply. As it turned out, the issue wasn't related to any of those; 15.0.1 was installed on the C: drive, the updater was being launched from the Desktop directory for my user account on the C: drive.

I ended up calling customer support using the number on the Java Troubleshooting page in the KB, and we were finally able to fix the problem with the help of our IT support company. Apparently, upgrading privileges for the installer via the dialog you get on launching the 15.0.2 updater isn't good enough; we had to log out and log back in using the admin account, then right-click on the updater and Run as Admin. Then the install completed successfully. So in the end, it was a permissions issue.

Is that mentioned in any of the KB articles? I couldn't find a reference myself, but I may not have been using the right search terms.

• 3. Re: Server 15.0.2 update problem on WinServer 2012
              TSGal

TravisButler:

Glad to know you discovered the issue and installed.

This information can be found in Knowledge Base Article #16201:

Software Update: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2 | FileMaker

The first "Note:" says:

"You will need and internet connection and the Administrator rights to your computer to install the update."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Server 15.0.2 update problem on WinServer 2012
                TravisButler

Thank you, yes, I saw that; the problem is that the Note isn't clear that you may actually need to log in as an Admin before running the installer.

As written, one could assume that all that was needed was Administrator credentials for the privilege escalation dialog when you run the installer; and as noted, that didn't work for us. The only thing that did work is logging out of Windows and logging back in with the Admin credentials.