12 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 9:25 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports

BruceHerbach

I have had FileMaker 15 ProAdvanced 15.0.2.220 Mac crash twice today.  In both cases,  I was primarily working on adding fields to database.  I closed Manage Database.  Went into Layout mode on the current layout.  Changed layouts, went to browse mode and then clicked a button.  The script should have navigated to a different layout.  When I clicked the button the FileMaker Pro Advanced crashed and generated the attached reports.

The file is hosted on a local development server.  After the first crash, I downloaded a copy of the file and ran it through the  recovery process.  No issues were detected.

The computer is a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can send.

Bruce Herbach

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
          TSGal

BruceHerbach:

Thank you for your post.

The crashed thread in both crash reports are identical.

The crash seems to occur during the script as it tries to display the destination layout.  What can you tell me about the original layout and the destination layout?  For instance, are both layouts using Form view?  Do you have any portals on the layout?  Are there any scroll bars?  Is the layout being zoomed?  Is the window being resized?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
            BruceHerbach

The script is going from a "detail" form layout with tabs and portals to a list view.  Seems to happen as soon as I hit the button.

In both cases it seems to happen after I came out of manage database.  I'm doing a lot of field updates/new field for a database under development.  I was on a base table layout ( just fields) for a different table.  Changed to layout mode and selected the first detail layout in the list.  I actually wanted to navigate to a different layout and thought this would be the easiest way of getting there.  I clicked the button and FileMaker crashed.

The crash was instant.  In older versions, a crash like this usually had the spinning ball of death for a few seconds and then a crash report.

I hope this is helpful.  I'm about to continue working on this database and have a lot more to do with these fields.  I'll try and pay attention to which layout I'm on if/when this happens again.

One other note,  this a is a re-write/new build of a Job Pro template database I have been working with for years.  When this happened,  I had both databases opened.  For the purposes of data import there are a number of table occurrences from the Job Pro files in the relationship graph of this file.  After we go live,  I plan to remove them.

Bruce Herbach

Herbach Consulting

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
              BruceHerbach

Hi,

I found out which layout/button is causing the crashes.  Attached is the most recent crash report.  If I open the debugger and step through the script,  it works as intended.  No crash.  If I navigate to the layout using buttons and scripts and click the button,  it works correctly.

At this point I seemed to be able to make it crash by navigating to the layout in layout mode, enter browse mode and then click the button.  The script should navigate to the client list view.  Instead it crashes.

HTL
              Bruce Herbach

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                BruceHerbach

TSGal,

One new wrinkle.  I tried going into layout mode and navigating to a different detail layout with the same button on it.  Entered browse mode and clicked the button.  FileMaker crashed.  So it seems that layout mode going to browse mode and then running the script has something to do with it.

If I start on the list view,  and use the buttons and scripts to get to the layout staying in browse more.  It works perfectly.  Good news... thats how the client will do it.  I need to avoid doing this.  Every time it crashes,  It puts a real kink in my development process.

Regards

Bruce

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                  TSGal

BruceHerbach:

Thank you for the additional information.

First, the new crash report is identical to the previous two crash reports.

You mentioned that you "navigated to a different detail layout with the same button on it."  In case the button is bad, try creating a new button (do not duplicate the original button) that executes the same script and see if the crash still occurs.

You also mention that when you use the Debugger and step through the script, the crash does not occur, so the crash could be a timing issue.  Try inserting a Pause/Resume script step with a duration of .25 seconds.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                    BruceHerbach

TSGal,

I working through this I determined that the navigation script called a search/sort script used by the list view.  This is intended to show the same data set when the user returns to the list view.   Normally this script is attached to a Global field with an OnModify script trigger to find the client the user is looking for.

If I disabled this sub script the crashes stopped.

I added the suggested pause/resume script step as the first step in the sub script and now can the scripts run with out crashing Filemaker.   If I disable the pause/resume script step FileMaker does crash.  So you are correct about this being a timing issue.

When I first ran this, I noticed the delay.  For this reason,  I shortened the delay to 0 seconds.  Even with this very short delay,  FIleMaker doesn't crash.  With this 0 length delay,  the user experience is not impacted. So I'm leaving it in place.  I have seen notes from other developers where they put in 0 length pause resume script steps.  The comments indicated they were required,  but didn't say why.  I suspect that they ran into a similar issue.

The same navigation script is used to return to a client detail screen from a contact detail screen.  As a test,  I disabled the pause/resume step and navigated to the client detail record through layout mode as described above.  Went in browse mode clicked a button in the contact portal.  This opened the related contact detail button.  Then clicked the return button.  This brought me back to the client detail screen.  I then clicked the return button on the client screen and FileMaker crashed.   The search script was not run until returning to the client list view.  I though that by having scripts/buttons navigate to a different layout and back and then going back to the list view that FileMaker might not crash.

So it seems to be a combination of navigation to layout through layout mode and timing when running the search script on the list view.

If you want a copy of the file,  I check with the client to see if he is ok with it and remove the links to the Job Pro files so you can open it with out getting look for file dialogs.

In the mean time I think we can close this.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bruce Herbach

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                      TSGal

BruceHerbach:

Thanks for the detailed notes.  Even though it is now working, I'm well aware that you shouldn't have to put in a Pause/Resume script step.  If possible, I would like to get a copy/clone of the file so I can have Development and Testing determine what is causing FileMaker to crash.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                        BruceHerbach

HI TSGal,

I was setting up a copy of the database for you.  In doing so I removed data from a related table.  Once I did this,  FileMaker stopped crashing.  I'm going to import the data back into the table and see if the problem re-appears.  If so,  when I send it to you I'll let you know what table this is so you can experiment.

Regards

Bruce

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                          BruceHerbach

Hi TSGal,

I sent the file.  Importing the data back in to the related table did cause FileMaker to start crashing again.  I also tested this on a MacBook Air and a Windows 7 virtual machine running on the MacBook Pro.  FileMaker crashed on all 3 systems.

If I can be of any additional assistance with this please let me know.  Again thanks for the work around.  I hate delivering a DB with a known issue.

Regards

Bruce

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                            TSGal

BruceHerbach:

I received your file and instructions.  Thank you.

I am able to reproduce the crash on my Mac and Windows computers.  All information has been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                              TSGal

BruceHerbach:

Testing is able to replicate the crash, and they noticed the crash report is very similar to another timing crash issue previously reported.  Your file has now been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.  In the mean time, continue using the workaround.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced crash reports
                                TSGal

BruceHerbach:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.