13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2016 7:22 AM by mattel

FileMaker Cloud Storage

mattel

Filemaker cloud claims to use SSD general purpose storage (gp2) - however the cloud formation template doesn't specify a storage type and therefore launches it as standard.

I'm not sure who maintains that stack file (filemaker or orbitera.com) - but they should update it to specify the gp2 storage class that it claims it uses.

Some other features that would be nice include:

-Choice of VPC

-Choice of Availability Zone

-Choice of Subnet

-Choice of PlacementGroup

"BlockDeviceMappings": [

{

"DeviceName": "/dev/sda1",

"Ebs": {

"VolumeSize": "16",

"DeleteOnTermination": true

}

},

{

"DeviceName": "/dev/sdb",

"VolumeSize": "8",

}

},

{

"DeviceName": "/dev/sdf",

"VolumeSize": "40",

}

}

],

• 1. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
          CICT

I couldn't agree more.

We've as yet to look at FMC but one of the most fundamental requirements of our cloud based systems is to be able to push copies of all data out to another localised storage area. Currently we push from a UK IaaS to Amazon S3 in Ireland.

I've not read anything as yet about how you'd do this within FMC and certainly a link to block storage would be a step in the right direction. Because the FMC instance is so controlled (I believe, without having any hands on experience), I suspect it won't be possible to upload the AWS CLI that works so well when called by FileMaker Server and Windows 2012 Server, enabling data to be pushed to S3 buckets automatically and accessed by S3 Browser, Transmit, etc.

However, FileMaker have been very open and honest that this is v1.0 and new features will be forthcoming, as will localisation, so I would hope AWS CLI or similar would be setup as standard in the future. It would be great if it could be configured from within the Linux version of FileMaker Server, avoiding system scripts and batch files.

Regards

Andy

• 2. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
            mattel

I modified the cloud formation template to launch it with the gp2 type, now that it has an update to apply, I'll see if it sticks.

More s3 integration would be good to.  I'm a tad concerned that the EBS volume where the databases are stored is set to delete on termination.  I was thinking a "push to s3" function would make sense.

You can launch the fm cloud then create an AMI, then launch an instance of the AMI and do whatever you want.  However, it kills the update function, the backup function and possibly a few other things.  But if you wanted to use it to roll your own, you could.  There are several places as well in the code where it checks to see if it's on AWS and then do something and do something else if it's locally hosted.  Leading me to believe a linux version of file maker server is not out of the question.

Now if only it could run in a container....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
              wimdecorte

More native S3 would indeed be nice.  In the meantime you can automate a lot of it with the use a tiny Linux instance on the same account, something along the lines of automating what you can do manually:

FileMaker Cloud & Backup Restore - Soliant Consulting

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                CICT

Interesting, does additional Filemaker licensing get charged to your account when you use the AMI or do you have to purchase again via standard methods?

As far as I am aware, FMI have no plans for a non-cloud Linux version of FMS.

Out of interest, should you want a copy of your files from the EBS volume, using the standard FMC product, how to you obtain them? Do you have access to the OS or is there something from within the management console?

Thanks

Andy

• 5. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                  CICT

Update, just read Wim's link to Soliant. Well that should be nice and easy for the average Filemaker user!  

• 6. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                    mattel

Well the ami I used was a BYOL cause I had the licenses.

Yes - wim's link from soliant for just making a new nano instance and mounting the snapshot is pretty simple.  I'm fairly confident you could do that from the FM cloud instance as well, just by mounting the snapshot EBS volume to a different partition and then moving the files. But considering the few pennies it will cost to run another one, probably best to just do it separately.

I'm actually quite surprised that the "preserve" function doesn't just automatically take a copy of that backup and put it on S3.  Snapshots are actually stored on S3 already as far as I know.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                      CICT

Imagine having a server on the LAN you can't move files too and from without having to set up another server! And can only backup as an image.

Along the same lines, we've a healthcare insurance system that currently has 17Gbs of externally stored container field files.

For the FileMaker user without UNIX knowledge I guess the only way of uploading is to embed all files back into each data file, upload with FMP (if it will!) and then revert to external storage.

As the 3 of us who have posted here so far have said, future development involving S3 should be on FileMaker's agenda. We wouldn't put a mission critical system on a host that can only image volumes.

However, again to remember this is v1.0 and FMI do have a development roadmap. Look at WebDirect now compared to its initial release.

Andy

• 8. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                        wimdecorte

CICT wrote:

Out of interest, should you want a copy of your files from the EBS volume, using the standard FMC product, how to you obtain them? Do you have access to the OS or is there something from within the management console?

The blog article describes one way.  You do have access to the OS through SSH if you set it up so you could close a file in the admin console and then grab it through SCP.  That would be quicker than having to mount a snapshot.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                          wimdecorte

mattel wrote:

I'm fairly confident you could do that from the FM cloud instance as well, just by mounting the snapshot EBS volume to a different partition and then moving the files.

Yes you can, I've done that as a test.  The only thing that I am unsure about and that would make me lean towards a nano separate Linux instance, is how customized and tweaked the CentOS is that drives FMS.  Not sure if you can rely on all the OS bits and pieces you might need - they could have been stripped out.

Using a separate instance gives you full control.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                            CICT

Thanks Wim

I did spot that afterwards and it looks as if the AWS CLI is built in as standard, so using the SSH connection it ought to be possible to configure that remotely, although I don't believe FMS can run system scripts as yet so it would need to be a Linux scheduled event. However, I believe any customisation will be overwritten during the next update, so not a realistic option.

No doubt a somewhat more user friendly option will apper in the future.

Regards

Andy

• 11. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                              mattel

You have full control on the FMS cloud instance.  It's not locked out or anything else.  If you run sudo yum upgrade, it will upgrade 100 or so packages that are out of date on the fm cloud AMI.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                                wimdecorte

mattel wrote:

You have full control on the FMS cloud instance. It's not locked out or anything else. If you run sudo yum upgrade, it will upgrade 100 or so packages that are out of date on the fm cloud AMI.

I wouldn't do that though.  FMI will push updates to the underlying Linux (I've seen a few come in already).  But I would let them control that; otherwise you might break something.

It's an 'appliance' after all.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Cloud Storage
                                  mattel

Oh I'm not suggesting you do it.  I'm saying that you certainly can.  It's not like there is any restrictions in place.  The updates from the AMI will over write the package updates if you apply them yourself.