14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 1:34 PM by Malcolm

Urgent Error Help

jurgen

Have come in today we are running Filemaker server v14 nd it now comes up with error error 1 unknown error and wont open file

• 1. Re: Urgent Error Help
          macwombat

Others who are more expert than me may make other suggestions but here are some thoughts to start.

Is the FM Server working at all?  Ie. are other files able to be opened?  If none of the files are able to open then try rebooting your FileMaker Server.

If some files are able to be opened but not one file - then check in the admin console can you see whether the file is showing as open?  If it is showing as closed you could try to re-open it in the admin console.

I would also suggest - even if it does re-open that you take a copy of the latest backup and run a recovery over the copy of the file to see if there are any problems.  If there are problems you might want to work through the recovery process.  Best Practices: File Recovery

Hope this helps.  Chris

• 2. Re: Urgent Error Help
            wimdecorte

It is not clear where you are getting this error?  When trying to open a hosted file with FMP?

Do you still see the files listed in "open remote" when you select the server?

• 3. Re: Urgent Error Help
              jurgen

image002.jpgimage005.jpg

Hi Everyone.. I run Filemaker server 14.0.3.302 in a Terminal server environment. It has been working fine up until this morning. When i open with admin or any user after a few seconds the Check/Cycle screen flashes followed by the Alert; Error: -1. Database restore doesn't work, even from a backup of upto a few months ago. I've restarted the server and check logs but nothing is hinting what the issue might be.

• 4. Re: Urgent Error Help
                jurgen

Admin Console shows database as Normal. Note * Files error is exactly the same when opening as from Local rather than Open Remote.  Any Ideas? Sample FM File works fine.

• 5. Re: Urgent Error Help
                  wimdecorte

jurgen wrote:

Admin Console shows database as Normal. Note * Files error is exactly the same when opening as from Local rather than Open Remote. Any Ideas? Sample FM File works fine.

RED FLAG!!!

You should not be able to open the files from Local; the file should only be available through Open Remote.  If you can open the file from anything else than through Open Remote that means that OS-level file sharing is enabled on the FMS folders and that *will* eventually lead to some corruption in your files.

This should be addressed first and foremost!

• 6. Re: Urgent Error Help
                    wimdecorte

jurgen wrote:

Hi Everyone.. I run Filemaker server 14.0.3.302 in a Terminal server environment.

Can you clarify this a bit?   Users are using Terminal Services to launch FMP, right?

But FileMaker Server is NOT running on the TS server, correct?  If so that is not a good deployment.

• 7. Re: Urgent Error Help
                      wimdecorte

jurgen wrote:

image005.jpg

When i open with admin or any user after a few seconds the Check/Cycle screen flashes followed by the Alert; Error: -1.

Not sure what you mean by the 'check/cycle screen'.  But that message is not a FM error, it is an error message constructed by the developer.  Something in a script that he traps for and then shows this custom dialog.

The easiest way to find what is wrong is to run whatever this is running in the Script Debugger and see where it fails.  Then work backwards from that.

• 8. Re: Urgent Error Help
                        jurgen

We always run from (Open Remote) or Host .. and yes we are running on Server 2008 in a Terminal server environment. Have done so for over 4 years. Its just the Alert issue we are attempting to solve. As mentioned it has been working fine up until this morning.

Wimbecorte : You believe this error is created by the developer ? .. Please confirm.

• 9. Re: Urgent Error Help
                          wimdecorte

Not sure you have answered my question on whether FMS itself is running on TS together with the clients.  I understand you are 'just' trying to get the alert solved but sometimes these errors come from a faulty deployment and are just the symptom.

• 10. Re: Urgent Error Help
                            jurgen

Sorry Wimde, Yes i can confirm that FMS and TS are on the same Windows 2008 Server RD STD. All staff remotely login to this server to work.

• 11. Re: Urgent Error Help
                              wimdecorte

jurgen wrote:

Sorry Wimde, Yes i can confirm that FMS and TS are on the same Windows 2008 Server RD STD. All staff remotely login to this server to work.

That is a bad deployment and I highly recommend that you split off FMS and install it on its own server.

• 12. Re: Urgent Error Help
                                sallyc

Contact your developer, if its their code I'm sure they can help

• 13. Re: Urgent Error Help
                                  jurgen

Thank you all for your help. Issue is now under control

• 14. Re: Urgent Error Help
                                    Malcolm

Interesting!

That's an error message that will occur when my code has been misconfigured.

In this case, it is occurring because a client who has moved premises, do not know how to set up the system, not paid their outstanding invoices, and are sending threats to our developers.

I cannot see how the issue could be "under control". It would require Full Access to the system and the client does not have any legal right to Full Access privileges for that database.

May I advise any FileMaker developers that IP rights for that database do not belong with the client.