13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 11:37 AM by TSGal

BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries

fmpdude

FileMaker (14) FMPA, at least, does not respect page boundaries in a layout when exporting to PDF. Thus, when opening a PDF with graphs, for example, it's routine to see that the graph is split right down the middle, horizontally, across two pages!

So, FileMaker dumps this trial-and-error exercise in my lap to try and see how to get the proper PDF output - even when, now, the layout page boundaries have no relation to the page boundaries of the PDF output file. That guessing, trial-and-error, work that FMP should be doing internally takes me quite a while and is frustrating ("why should I be doing this and not the software?!"). And, the next time I modify the layout, I have to start the time-consuming trial-and-error PDF export all over - multiple attempts.

I'm sure you would agree that for "freeware" this buggy export behavior would be OK, but not for a multi-hundred dollar database product that's been around for 30+ years, right?

Therefore please fix this software so if I have a graph, or other object that's inside the page boundaries of a layout, that these objects properly export within the PDF (in this case) page boundaries and not split across pages.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
          TSGal

fmpdude:

Thank you for your post.

What is the width of the layout?  What are the positions of the graph?  How does the page and graph appear in Preview?  What are the Print/Page Setup options (scale, printer, orientation, etc.)?  What operating system are you using?  What version of FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 are you running?  Do all layouts have this issue or just one?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
            fmpdude

As I said in sentence 1 above, I'm using FMPA 14.

Preview looks fine.

I tried to create a sample output file, but (from Preview, which I don't use for PDF Output), FMPA hung. I ended up having to cold boot the machine and now I'm having to rebuild the Spotlight index (a side-effect of rebuilding the SL index is you LOSE all the "Last Opened" Finder metadata on the entire machine! Thus, many of my Smart Folders are now showing empty results. Great.

Because of this FMPA hang, I'm now busy with other other issues on my machine.

Never mind.

• 3. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
              TSGal

fmpdude:

Which version of FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 are you using?  14.0.6?  14.0.5?  Earlier?  The PDF engine in FileMaker Pro was modified between certain versions.

Are you using Save to PDF or printing to PDF?  What you see in Preview is exactly what is sent to the printer driver when using printing to PDF.

In your "sample output file", what Theme is being used?  What fonts are being used?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                fmpdude

TSGal wrote:

fmpdude:

Which version of FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 are you using? 14.0.6? 14.0.5? Earlier? The PDF engine in FileMaker Pro was modified between certain versions.

Are you using Save to PDF or printing to PDF? What you see in Preview is exactly what is sent to the printer driver when using printing to PDF.

In your "sample output file", what Theme is being used? What fonts are being used?

Font: Verdana

Theme: Sophisticated

(Note: creating the PDF via the script has never hung the computer. Never. Not once. It's just that even though the graphics are inside the layout's print borders, the PDF has broken graphics across pages. If I can't rely on the layout's print borders for proper "printing", as to a PDF, what good are they?

Thanks for your reply.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                  TSGal

fmpdude:

Thank you for the additional information.

Do you still have FileMaker Pro 14.0.5?  A new PDF engine was incorporated into FileMaker Pro 14.0.6.

If you print to PDF, does the graph display in the resulting PDF across two pages?

If you create a new layout and put a graph on the layout, do you still get the same issue?

Does the issue occur with all layouts or just this one layout?

Any other answers you can provide from my initial questions may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                    fmpdude

TSGal wrote:

fmpdude:

Do you still have FileMaker Pro 14.0.5? A new PDF engine was incorporated into FileMaker Pro 14.0.6.

If you print to PDF, does the graph display in the resulting PDF across two pages?

If you create a new layout and put a graph on the layout, do you still get the same issue?

Does the issue occur with all layouts or just this one layout?

Any other answers you can provide from my initial questions may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Nope, just have 14.0.6.

Since everything displays/outputs fine horizontally (charts chopped off vertically across consecutive pages but all horizontal content is correct), I don't understand how the horizontal dimension makes a difference.

Mac OS/X 10.12.1

Preview looks OK now, but that's after I spent lots of time cleaning the export manually via (lots of) trial and error. Since all the graphics/text were within the page layout page boundaries, why look at preview?

But  when the problem happens, the graphs are positioned within the page layout's page boundaries with lots of room to spare.

Scale is set to 59%

Orientation: portrait.

This is the only layout I have with multiple graphics (bar, line, and pie).

HOPE THIS HELPS with your development team's testing.

• 7. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                      TSGal

fmpdude:

You said:

> Since everything displays/outputs fine horizontally (charts chopped off vertically across consecutive

>pages but all horizontal content is correct), I don't understand how the horizontal dimension makes

>a difference.

The horizontal AND vertical positions are needed to set up a similar scenario.

> ... why look at preview?

Because whatever shows in Preview is exactly what is sent to the printer driver under Print -> PDF.

> Scale is set to 59%

Definitely important information.

With the information I now have, I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. On an iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.1, I launched FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 and created a file with two fields: Name (Text) and Amount (Number).

2. I entered two records ("TSGal" and "fmpdude" with Amounts 5 and 10, respectively).

3. I created a pie chart using the two values from Amount.

4. I sized my layout with Header 0.694 inches, Body 12 inches, Footer 0.556 inches, and width 13.542 inches.

5. I sized the pie chart as Left 3.361, Top 1.694, Right 13.528, Bottom 11.153.

6. In Preview, the right side is cut off.

7. After changing the Page Setup scale to 59%, I can now see the right edge (as expected) in Preview.

8. If I go to Print (either Records being browsed or Current record) and print to PDF, the PDF uses the scaling and displays the information properly.

9. If I use Save Records as PDF (either Records being browsed or Current record), the scaling is not used  and the PDF contains all the data.  Nothing is truncated/cut off.  The page size is 14.41 x 18.64.  If you then print this document using Page Setup scaling of 59%, the information will all print.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the truncation of data.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                        fmpdude

Here's my header:

Clicking on the layout and then in the inspector, I get:

---

Yes, even though the graphs are within the print margins, both preview and the output are wrong: they are not within the margins and the content gets broken over two pages. I took two screenshots showing the top half of the print area and the bottom half of the print area and the print margins clearly visible. If you can tell me how to email those (more proprietary) screenshots to you, I'll be happy to.

Thanks,

• 9. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                          TSGal

fmpdude:

With the Width at 19.514 inches, 59% would make the width at 11.51 inches.  You mentioned Portrait, so that would definitely cut off a couple of inches.  With an 8 inch wide printable page (0.25 print margins), the maximum the layout width could be is 13.56 inches.

Can you verify the width of the layout as well as the print scaling percentage?

I have sent you a private message so you can send in a copy/clone of your solution so I can test it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                            fmpdude

There isn't anything missing horizontally.

I'll send you two screenshots showing the print margins for the graphs.

One thing that could be messing up FMP is that I have extended the header region to allow more fields than the default. You might try that too. It shouldn't make any difference. Something is off.

Thanks,

• 11. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                              TSGal

fmpdude:

I received your screen shots, but I have not received a copy of the solution.

Are there anchors on the charts?  A right anchor would push the chart to the right edge, and with a width of 19.514, the chart would be cropped.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                                fmpdude

Hi,

As I mentioned now three times, there is no cropping left to right or any missing information left to right. The graphs are simply cut across pages.

Unfortunately, I can't send you a cloned copy of the solution as even that is too proprietary. Additionally, even IF you find the problem and IF the engineers there do schedule a fix, history shows it will ONLY be in the current version which out v. 14.

I've already spent way too much time on this for a bug that won't be fixed for me, anyway.

Thanks for your replies.

• 13. Re: BUG: FileMaker's PDF Output does not respect layout's page boundaries
                                  TSGal

fmpdude:

If I can't replicate the issue, then a file is something I would need to determine what is the issue.  Since a copy of the solution is not possible, I'll need explicit instructions to reproduce the issue so it can be evaluated in the current version, and if determined an issue, fixed in a future release.

From the information at hand, a layout width of 19.514 inches will have a finished width of 11.51 (59% scaling) when printing to PDF.  With Save as PDF, the document will be saved at the 100% width (the size of the layout), and then when you print the PDF, you can adjust the scaling.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.