6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 10:34 AM by TSGal

Closing last window, not responding

DanielShanahan

Machine: Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB

FileMaker: FMPA 15.0.2.220

Running FMS on Same Machine? No.

Issue: When I have multiple FMP files open, each with multiple windows open, when I close the last window I get the spinning beach ball.  I have to force quit the application as it is not responding.  A few observations:

1. It doesn't always happen.  I can often close the application windows just fine.

2. It doesn't always happen to the same files.

3. The multiple open files can be local and hosted.

4. I notice this on local files, but I'm not positive that it is only local files.

Attached is the Problem Details and System Configuration report.

• 1. Re: Closing last window, not responding
          TSGal

DanielShanahan:

Thank you for your post.

In the last open window, does that file have any relationships to other database files?

With the last open window, are there any hidden windows?  That is, if you pull down the "Window" menu and select Show Window, are there any windows listed in parentheses?

Does the last open window have either an OnWindow Close or OnLastWindowClose script trigger?  If so, what actions does the script perform?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Closing last window, not responding
            DanielShanahan

Thanks for your prompt reply, TSGal.

TSGal wrote:

In the last open window, does that file have any relationships to other database files?

No.

With the last open window, are there any hidden windows? That is, if you pull down the "Window" menu and select Show Window, are there any windows listed in parentheses?

Possibly.  I hadn't noticed it before but I do use the hidden window technique when creating a new record and I had created a new record during that session.  I'll keep my eye out for that one.

Does the last open window have either an OnWindow Close or OnLastWindowClose script trigger? If so, what actions does the script perform?

No.

• 3. Re: Closing last window, not responding
              TSGal

DanielShanahan:

Thank you for your answers.

Nothing sounds out of the ordinary, and I know that doesn't help you.  The only issue similarly reported was during the FileMaker Pro 13 time frame when the font cache was being updated when closing a window, but that was addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.

Are there any plug-ins installed?

I realize this issue occurs infrequently and may be hard to pin down, so the next time this occurs, please take note of all other applications that are open.  Also, if you are able to select the Finder while the beach ball is spinning, run Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities), as this will show the amount of memory FileMaker Pro is using as well as other applications.  Also note the last actions taken just prior to closing the window.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Closing last window, not responding
                DanielShanahan

Thanks.  It didn't occur to me to run Activity Monitor.  If/when it happens again, I'll follow your recommendations and keep you posted.

• 5. Re: Closing last window, not responding
                  DanielShanahan

TSGal,

The issue happened again, this time with a different database.  The database was local.  I did have a hosted file open at the same time.  I was only closing the windows on the local file, not the hosted file when the beach ball appeared.

Attached is a copy of the Activity Monitor.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 12.09.15 PM.png

• 6. Re: Closing last window, not responding
                    TSGal

DanielShanahan:

Thank you for the screen shot.  With FileMaker Pro Advanced at 99.5% CPU and not responding, obviously it is hung.

Are there any plug-ins installed/enabled?  If so, what are they?

Since you are uncertain if hosted files are a contributing factor, temporarily open local files only.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled FileMaker Pro?  Before attempting that option, temporarily create a new user account for your Mac.  Login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, and open your files (hosted and local) and see if the issue occurs.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.