10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 4:35 PM by Vincent_L

Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script

Vincent_L

Hi,

2 days in a row I encountered  this issue :

I ran a very lengthy script (12 hours) from a client of a FMS 15v2 hosted solution. The morning the  Filemaker client was said to be non responding in activity monitor.

The first day, by putting frontmost and in background the client app, several times, it eventually resumed ok.

The next day, I went back to this client in the afternoon (so the client may have been stuck much longer).

Suspecting a locking issue (what else could this be), in the evening I disconnected all the other clients, and tunred off server side script.

But the Filemaker Client never resumed.

Please note that CPU usage of the "non responding" FMP Client was 0%

So I sampled the client process, you'll find it in the dropbow archive below. Also, I attached all the entire server log folder.

I tried to use the top call stats, but it showed nothing from this client.

Dropbox - filemaker_client_stuck_for_18hours.zip

Could you tell me, why it was stuck ?

Thanks

Best regards,

Vincent

P.S : Server and client on Sierra 10.12.0

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
          TSGal

Vincent_L:

Thank you for your post.

From first glance, it is difficult to determine what is causing the issue.  I have downloaded and sent the files to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
            TSGal

Vincent_L:

Testing would like to know the following:

1. Are there any plug-ins installed/enabled?

2. Does the problem occur if the script is run locally?  That is, not hosted on FileMaker Server 15?

3. Has the client experienced this issue prior to FileMaker Server 15?

4. Did the client use the updaters for FileMaker Server 15.0.2 or FileMaker Pro 15.0.2?

5. What actions are being performed in the script that makes it run 12 hours?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
              Vincent_L

1. Are there any plug-ins installed/enabled?

Yes, BE 3.3. It executes command line, but the command line part was ended a while before the stuck, also as you use command line with that plugin, mac os x activity monitors hierarchical mode reports the command line processes. Those were indeed not present while the sucking occured

2. Does the problem occur if the script is run locally?  That is, not hosted on FileMaker Server 15?

I never run it locally, and can't because there's a lot of things involved, and also I can't run it for free : meaning my time needs to yield results especially a 12 hours one.

3. Has the client experienced this issue prior to FileMaker Server 15?

No, but can't compare since that script didn't exist prior 15 days

4. Did the client use the updaters for FileMaker Server 15.0.2 or FileMaker Pro 15.0.2?

No I waited v2 to deploy

5. What actions are being performed in the script that makes it run 12 hours?

Very complicated, basically it create products from xml files, the main & slow part is to create the products through loops an create relationship. there's also a lot of Filemaker SQL queries. I think that was the relationship part that hanged.

also, lots of other scripts were running. So I thought about a locking issue, and I hope but submiting this that you would be able to see what was the hang and confirm or not if it was a locking issue

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                TSGal

Vincent_L:

Thank you for your responses.  I have sent this information back to Development and Testing for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                  TSGal

Vincent_L:

Without a file, Testing needs to know if you are able to narrow down the script to where it hangs.  I know the script takes 12 hours to process, so this might be difficult. One possibility is to create a table with a Text field and a Timestamp field, and then in your script, insert steps at different points that inserts a unique value along with a timestamp and commit the data.  That way, when you hang, hopefully, you will know a general area where the hang occurs along with the time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                    TSGal

Vincent_L:

Development and Testing need a copy/clone of your solution.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the solution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                      TSGal

Vincent_L:

Although I have not received a copy/solution of your solution, Development has looked at your log files and believe the issue is with a plug-in (Base Elements) doing a SQL DELETE command from a calculation function (which FileMaker doesn't allow in the ExecuteSQL function).  Simply, the delete causes a notification to be sent but the calculation engine isn't finished, so a hang occurs.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                        Vincent_L

Wow many thanks TSGal & to dev team.

I was about to tell you that sending you the solution wouldn't work, because it's big (many GB) and that's some confidential material.

Simply, the delete causes a notification to be sent but the calculation engine isn't finished, so a hang occurs.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Isn't that a bug ? The BE plugin only taps in the SQL function that filmmaker has. Shouldn't the hang be prevented ?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                          TSGal

Vincent_L:

Testing and Development can no longer proceed without a file.  Please send a copy/subset of your file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 15v2 client stuck after lengthy script
                            Vincent_L

Hi TSGal,

Couldn't reproduce it so far