3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 7:22 PM by 2cool

Wrapping with the SDK: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

2cool

Is it safe to upgrade to Sierra and use FM15 + SDK + Xcode 8.x for wrapping apps? I need to support iOS 9.x-10.x.

Pardon me if this has already been answered, but there have been numerous discussion around SDK not working with Xcode 8.x and still more problems with Sierra.

I need to know:

1) Can take my currently working FM 15 configurations, latest FM 15 code, Xcode Version 7.3.1 (7D1014) and upgrade to the latest Xcode 8.x using SDK 15.0.2 and rebuild and rewrap my apps without conflicts or problems? I do not want to upgrade and then everything is broken. Are there any issues with this at this time?

2) Same as #1 but upgrade to Sierra first. Is this supported with the SDK wrapping? Are there any issues with this at this time?

I am currently building everything with FM 15, El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1108), SDK 15.0.2 and a hacked version of Xcode 7.3.1 adding targets from 8.0. I really do not like the hacked aspect of Xcode and would like to simply upgrade everything to the latest version and move on. However, I do not want to break what I have and jump into a broken environment fight.

Please advise.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Wrapping with the SDK: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi 2cool,

The present version of the SDK is not compatible with Xcode 8.

Please see the following thread:

https://community.filemaker.com/message/612584?et=watches.email.thread#612584

Best wishes,

Beatrice

• 2. Re: Wrapping with the SDK: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
            monkeybreadsoftware

Well, iOS behavior is defined partly by the SDK version the app was built to.

So for older apps, iOS behaves different.

So for iOS app built with Xcode 7 and linked to Apple'S iOS SDK in version 9 may behave different than the version built with Xcode 8 and newer iOS 10 SDK.

But you can continue with Xcode 7 and deliver an app which is build with older iOS 9 SDK.

it should still work fine.

• 3. Re: Wrapping with the SDK: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
              2cool

I had iOS 10.0 on my 7+. It would allow me to run my apps with 7.3.1 after hacking the iOS 10 target from Xcode 8. After the latest patch to iOS 10.1.1, Xcode cannot find the target. So now it gets risky. I have Xcode 8 and Xcode 7.3.1 on my Mac. If I hit "Update" is it going to update 8.0 or 7.3.1. When a previous 8.0 patch came out, it updated both the 7.3.1 version and the 8.0 version. Blew 7.3.1 away!

I can build with 7.3.1 and continue hacking the targets out of Xcode 8.x and pasting them in or linking them as new iOS version come out. But this is really a cluge and I am concerned it is going to blow away my older version of Xcode in the process.

Apple sets the standard for interoperability, integration and stuff that works really well together and FileMaker is part of Apple. I really like FileMaker and what it allows me to create. I just want it to work like the other things we get from Apple. When something new, innovative or disruptive is released, all of the dependent parts need to be released as well. Are there plans and a schedule for when a compatible version of FM is going to be released to make this work with the latest Xcode and on Sierra?