8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 9:15 AM by Mike_Mitchell

How can i create a shopping list

leffen

so i have all of the product details and both form views and list views setup also every products has its own id

so i was wondering if it is possible to create functionality so that i could create a button where i will be able to click it and it will send it to the list, or is there a better way of getting items to a list?

thankyou

• 1. Re: How can i create a shopping list
          beverly

You might look at the Invoice Starter Solution. What is an Invoice? A shopping list of products ordered.

Prices can be ignored, if desired, of course.

beverly

Sent from miPhone

• 2. Re: How can i create a shopping list
            erolst

beverly wrote:

What is an Invoice? A shopping list of products ordered.

Unless you look at it not from a buyer's, but a seller's POV: then a shopping list is a list of products ordered that have insufficient stock levels to cater for the total quantity ordered.

But I'm not sure the OP is asking for any of this; could it be that he/she simply wants to switch between a Form and List view?

OTOH, by what criteria should that list be constrained to constitute a “shopping list”? You don't normally shop for every item in your Product table …

• 3. Re: How can i create a shopping list
              leffen

what i want is a seperate list where i can add and take away items and have it not affect records

• 4. Re: How can i create a shopping list
                beverly

So the term 'purchase order' fits better?

I believe there is a list of groceries from which to pick (like parts & products). The selection of said items need to be entered (even if temporarily) to a list (of not ALL groceries) for taking to the store.

Sent from miPhone

• 5. Re: How can i create a shopping list
                  Mike_Mitchell

One solution is to create a separate table for the list, using items from your "stock" or "inventory" of items. These might be the basic steps:

1) Create a relationship between the two tables based on the key of the stock list.

2) Create a lookup to copy the needed information from the stock list to the current list (name of item, store, whatever).

3) Create a value list of all items that exist in the stock list. Use the ID and name of the item.

4) Create a pop-up menu using that list in the current list.

5) Create records to add items to the list, and select the item you want from the pull-down / pop-up.

You can now safely add / delete records in the current list without affecting anything in the inventory. You can also add a button from the inventory / product screen that just saves the ID of that product in a variable, switches layouts to the current list, and inserts that ID into a new record.

This is a very basic implementation. If you need something more sophisticated - like keeping track of how many items you have available in inventory, let us know and we can probably help you with more specifics.

• 6. Re: How can i create a shopping list
                    David Moyer

Hi,

are you talking about a text list?  or a table with multiple "list" entries?

If it's the former, then there are several FM functions to look at (e.g. List, GetValue, ValueCount, Substitute, more).  If it's the latter, then see post 5, in particular.

• 7. Re: How can i create a shopping list
                      leffen

Hi Mike, if i were to give you the files or even upload them here would you be able to do this for me as im as basic as it gets, thanks

• 8. Re: How can i create a shopping list
                        Mike_Mitchell

Post the files and I'll take a look.