1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 6:35 AM by globe11123

Outlook Error - Something went wrong

globe11123

Product and version (e.g. FileMaker Pro 14.0.3)

Filemaker Pro 15.0.2 32bit

OS and version

Windows 10

Outlook 32bit

Description

For some reason one of our sales assistants computer does not like my script for sending a Sales Order.

This problem only occurs on a sales order and no other send mail scripts.

How to replicate

Initiate send mail script from order. Customer email address already specified on order.

When clicking send on outlook a pop up appears when sending the mail saying "Something went wrong" and nothing gets sent.

Workaround

I have noticed if I remove the email address in outlook and type it again it works.

Here's a preview of the script I use:-

test.png

• 1. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
          TSGal

globe11123:

Thank you for your post.

After the Send Mail step on line 20, temporarily insert a Show Custom Dialog script step and retrieve Get (LastError).  This may provide a clue to why the step failed.

If you select "Refurb", does the Send Mail step on line 38 work?

If you don't have an attachment, does the script step work?

If you manually go to Send Mail and add the attachment, does it work?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
            globe11123

So far since putting that custom dialog, no error has come up. Will post the error if anything appears.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
              globe11123

One of our staff has also noticed that the email body is not sending when using send mail through filemaker.

It opens outlook, has all the relevant details. When the user comes to input their signature and the body of text. The email that gets sent does not include a body.

There have been no errors come up on the dialog. From using $error.

• 4. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                globe11123

Only error that has appeared is -1.

We also have the same problem as mentioned in the same post. No other error messages.

• 5. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                  TSGal

globe11123:

Error code -1 is an unknown error.

Since the script above doesn't reference the Body in either Send Mail script steps, have the user manually pull down the File menu and select Send Mail.  Have the customer enter some Body text, and send the email to herself/himself.  If this works, then have the user perform the same script with the same information.  This may provide a clue as to why this is failing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                    globe11123

I've did what you described and that seemed to work fine. Although it mentioned about allowing to send emails but once I clicked allow it sent fine.

I also tested my send quotation script :-sdfsdf.png

But I selected our internal email address i.e. steven@globestock.co.uk to send the quotation too and this worked perfectly.

It seems that with certain email addresses there is a problem with the "To" field.

Does outlook have a problem with setting the To email address like this :-

settings.png

Would it make any different assigning the contact to a variable then putting $contact within the To field?

I just find it very strange how this crops up and then the problems disappear and it being especially bad on one PC.

Both being 32 bit office and filemaker.

• 7. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                      TSGal

globe11123:

There should be nothing wrong with using a Field name or a Variable in the "To:" section.  However, make sure there is actual data in the fields, or an actual email address.  Otherwise, you would definitely get an error.

Better yet, go to a record that isn't working, and evaluate the contents of "quotes_CONTACT::Email".  See if there are any extra characters, carriage returns, double @@, etc.  Or, copy the contents of the field to the clipboard, pull down the File menu and select Send Mail, and paste it into the "To:" section.  See if this works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                        globe11123

There is always an email address selected before a quotation is sent out. The user has to manually pick the appropriate contact.

On the data-viewer they come up and they appear on the field so I don't think its that.

When sending internal emails or editing the TO field there seems to be no problems.

I don't know why its being so temperamental. Nor do I understand when the emails being sent from the outlook client why the body has been removed.

• 9. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                          TSGal

globe11123:

Is there another script being called?  In the script being called above, neither of the two Send Mail steps (step 20, step 38) has a Body.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                            globe11123

Hi,

There are no other scripts being called.

In the first script there is no body, but in the last script there is and that's where I've had the problem for the signature going missing when the user inputs it on outlook.

• 11. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                              TSGal

globe11123:

Post the last script so I can test it myself.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                                TSGal

globe11123:

I have set up something similar, and the PDF exported is included in the Body when I reach the Send Mail step.  When I click Send, the mail is sent, and the attachment is received.

The Signature will not be included because neither Outlook nor Mail separates the Signature from the Body, and FileMaker Pro replaces the Body.  Only Entourage separates the Signature from the Body.  If you want to include the signature, then put it into a field and include it in the Message.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Outlook Error - Something went wrong
                                  globe11123

That's weird because every time we have sent mail to outlook then input the signature in outlook it has worked? Just within the last 1-2 weeks one of the computers has been sending emails without signatures even-though they were inputted.

I've taken your advise and created a global text field to store a signature and put the field onto the message. Hopefully that will clear that problem.

One of our technicians mentioned something about having multiple mailboxes / contacts could be a problem within outlook? Is that something that could make the information held within the "TO" field not work correctly?

1 2 Previous Next