1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 8:30 AM by BruceHerbach

Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients

noto

Hi, I need to limit the Number of User Connections Clients for webdirect.

Our server is over capacity and we have problems.

Until we get a new dedicated server for WebDirect only will be helpfull to limit the number of connections.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
          Mike_Mitchell

This is confusing. If you're over capacity already, why would you want to limit the number of connections? It sounds like you're already at the limit.

• 2. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
            noto

Sorry if I can´t express well my point, english it is not my first language.

I´ve got 16 Webdirect connections. And if they all connects at the same time problems appears (mostly committing changes). I think it is because of the single server set.

We are in the process of buying a server for deploy the Webdirect Filemaker.

Until we get it, I want that no more than x users be able to connect (as if I got a license of 10 or less).

When the new server is running, will let the 16 connections connect.

• 3. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
              Mike_Mitchell

Server will limit the connections automatically based on your license. If you have a license for 10 connections, you shouldn't be seeing any more than that connect.

Is this a server you own, or are you using a hosting service?

• 4. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                planteg

Mike,

I may be wrong but I think that the OP wishes to have less connections that the license permits, that is limiting to say 10 even though 16 may connects, until he has a new server.

• 5. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                  Mike_Mitchell

Offhand, I don't know of any way to do that directly in the product. And I don't understand what the benefit would be. You get the same behavior, just with fewer clients.

I suppose you could set up a database on the server that records a session for each login and then force every database on the server to go through that, locking out users if you hit the limit. Of course, you'd have to set up some housekeeping in the case of hung sessions, etc. But again, I don't see the point. What is the goal here? What are we trying to achieve?

• 6. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                    noto

YES!

It is like planteg said!

• 7. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                      Mike_Mitchell

Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

• 8. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                        noto

I´m trying to adecuate the connections to the actual server capacity.

• 9. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                          Mike_Mitchell

I don't know what "adecuate" means. If you have a license for 16 users, that's the server capacity. User number 17 gets rejected. What planteg said was that you wanted to restrict it to 10 instead. Is that right? And if so, WHY?

• 10. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                            philipHPG

It sounds to me like they purchased 15 additional webdirect licenses and once they started working with it that way, they discovered that there were performance issues when that number of people connect simultaneously. They are now looking at getting a second server, however until they get the additional server they want to limit the number of concurrent webdirect connections to a number (such as 10), so that users won't experience the same level of performance issues.

It sounds to me like it is a temporary measure until a new server arrives.

A new server will certainly help, but perhaps what you are driving at Mike, is what is causing the performance to be so slow? Fast hardware can only go so far in compensating for a clunky design.

• 11. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                              planteg

@Mike,

noto means to adequate the number of connections to the server capacity. 10 was a arbitrary number. Even though the license authorizes a maximum of 16 connections, he wishes to to set back this number lower no to exceed his server capacity to serve connections (not the FMS server, but the machine capacity).

@noto

I am afraid that it's not possible. You may only limit the number of CWP connections as far as I understand (unfortunately, since my Windows is in French, I can't have the FMS console to work in English ).

Is there some way for you to reduce the load outside FMS in order for FMS to get the maximum from your machine ?

• 12. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                                Mike_Mitchell

Okay, things are getting a little clearer now. (A language barrier is a real pain.)  

philipHPG wrote:

It sounds to me like they purchased 15 additional webdirect licenses and once they started working with it that way, they discovered that there were performance issues when that number of people connect simultaneously. They are now looking at getting a second server, however until they get the additional server they want to limit the number of concurrent webdirect connections to a number (such as 10), so that users won't experience the same level of performance issues.

It sounds to me like it is a temporary measure until a new server arrives.

A new server will certainly help, but perhaps what you are driving at Mike, is what is causing the performance to be so slow? Fast hardware can only go so far in compensating for a clunky design.

If performance is the issue, as you suspect, then I tend to agree. The first place I'd look is solution design, way before I started throwing hardware at it. Then I'd look at network - because if the network is wonky (drops a lot of packets) or just too slow, then it won't matter how fast the server is. Then, like planteg mentioned, I'd make sure nothing else was running on the server - absolutely nothing other than OS services and FMS.

Only after I dealt with all that would I start dropping money on hardware. Putting jet engines on a bicycle isn't really a good solution.

HTH

Mike

• 13. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                                  noto

We bought 6 connections and everything was going well.

Then, we bought 10 more connections. Then the problems begun.

I tried a lot of things, the scripts of Webdirects clients are running on server and the layout is very minimal.

The problems starts when the number of concurrent users scale.

I found this FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker  so everything points that if I deploy a dedicated WebDirect server will work OK with the 16 licensed connections.

If it is not posible to set the connections, a workaround will be very helpfull.

Thanks to everybody for taking your time in helping others!

FileMaker WebDirect

Recommended hardware configurations

Network connection with consistent signal strength and connectivity is required.

Number of FileMaker WebDirect simultaneous usersSecond machine for web publishing recommendedRAM*CPU*
                                  1-6NoSecond machine is not required, install on database server
                                  7-25Yes8 GB4-Core
                                  26-50Yes12 GB8-Core
                                  51-100Yes16 GB12-Core

*Recommended web publishing server configuration

• 14. Re: Downgrade Number of User Connections Clients
                                    Mike_Mitchell

What you're describing is a server that's overloading, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's because of the hardware. (In fact, it probably doesn't.) Here's one thing I saw that's a red flag:

noto wrote:

I tried a lot of things, the scripts of Webdirects clients are running on server ...

By definition, all scripts always run on the server for WebDirect. If you're starting Perform Script on Server sessions, it's completely unnecessary. You're creating extra sessions on the server that serve no purpose.

I found this FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker so everything points that if I deploy a dedicated WebDirect server will work OK with the 16 licensed connections.

This may or may not be a correct assumption. Just because FileMaker recommends an additional web publishing server doesn't mean you can overcome an inefficient design by throwing hardware at it. You said the layouts are "minimal". Are all the styles saved back to the server? Or do you have local styles? What kinds of scripts are these that are running on the server? Any aggregate fields (summaries, averages, etc.) that have to be calculated? What about unstored calculations based on related tables? All of these create a burden on the server as it has to refresh everything. There are a lot of places to look in solution design that can really handicap a server.

You identify that there are issues when a user attempts to commit a record. That could be a hard drive issue, and will still reappear even if you move the WebDirect part off. Have you tried a regular FileMaker client with this? What about your server logs? What do the stats say (especially the Elapsed Time per Call statistic)?

You can deploy a second server for a two-server setup if you like, but I would look first at the solution design and server configuration.

HTH

1 2 Previous Next