AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you clear FileMaker/Web Viewer memory?

Question asked by klundbac on Nov 16, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2017 by keeztha

Product and version

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220

OS and version

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

OS Version:                10.0.14393

Hardware

Computer typex64-based PC
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logic processors
Installed physical memory (RAM)8,00 GB

Description

I have a layout that contains a tab control within another tab control. In one of the tabs I have four Web Viewers that displays scatter plots through google charts (see image below). The problem is that whenever I switch layout or mode the memory of the Web Viewers does not get released which eventually slows down FileMaker and renders it useless. The only way I can release the memory at this point is to close down FileMaker.

GoogleCharts.png

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

How to replicate

Switching layout/mode with several web viewers will make the memory consumption skyrocket quite fast if you do not set the web viewer content to empty before switching.

Workaround (if any)

Close down FileMaker to release memory.

I can see that the memory consumption drops when pressing a button that sets the URL to nothing by either a toggle field/variable in the custom web address, If( toggleWV; URL) , or by using a scriptstep with "Set Web Viewer" and setting "Go to URL" to empty. However, if I set these solutions into a script trigger when I leave the Layout/Mode it only releases parts of the memory but not as much as the button press where I stay in the layout/mode. I tried to set goToObject to the tab with the charts and to each of the charts and then pause the script for 3 seconds to make them update with the empty URL. This step releases most of the memory but it is a quite annoying process for a user/developer. It still seems to be some memory that is not released and I am guessing it will slow down FileMaker eventually, at least it will take longer time until it reaches that level of memory usage this way.

Outcomes