1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 8:07 PM by philmodjunk

Sharing a database on multiple devices

dudefish

I have a database for tracking maintenance on pianos at a University School of Music.  I want to be able to access it and update it from my personal MacBook Pro that already has Filemaker Pro 12 on it, and the University MacBook Pro which has Filemaker Pro 14 on it.  I already have the database on both laptops but want to be able to update the database from either laptop and see the updates from the other.  I also plan to make an iPad Mini version of the database and would like to be able to put filmmaker on 2 different minis and be able to update the database from those 2 devices as well.  As I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, I am so confused about how to do this economically.  Filmaker Pro, Filemaker Server, Filemaker Cloud, Filemaker Go, Filemaker Bento... I thought this would be simple, but it looks like it might cost a lot of money to make this happen with annual fees and such.  But perhaps I am misunderstanding the process.  Could someone explain what I will need to be able to update my database from 2 laptops and 2 iPad Minis?

• 1. Re: Sharing a database on multiple devices
          philmodjunk

Filemaker Bento does not exist so scratch that one off your list. Bento itself has been discontinued for that matter.

Take a look at "synch tools" such as GoZync offered by SeedCode. It works with both FileMaker Pro and GO and does not require FileMaker server as I understand it.

Setting up each device as a client of FileMaker Server or Cloud would be a better option, but also much more expensive so the synch option is probably more likely to be in your budget range.