1 2 3 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 2:42 AM by montegoulding

LiveCode for FileMaker

IanRenwick

Some of you, like me, may be old enough to remember Hypercard which was an free application that came with the first Macintosh computers. As a teacher I found this a simple programming environment to use with students. LiveCode is a mature development from the original HyperCard and runs on all major operating and iOS systems.

I've been playing around with LiveCode - more off than on - for a few years and have watched it continue to evolve. So I was very excited to receive an email today announcing LiveCode for FileMaker (beta). At this stage you need a Mac and FM v15 but they will be releasing it for Windows soon.

I've downloaded it and had my first play. Knowing the rich development environment that LiveCode offers, it has got my mind spinning....

https://filemaker.livecode.com/?utm_source=Livecode&utm_campaign=6cf30f2fa2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_20838f6df2-6cf30f2fa2-35078421LiveCode for FM – Two Worlds. Infinite Possibilities.

• 1. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
          beverly

keep us posted, Ian!

There is a free trial and the web site has a lot of information. HyperCard and AppleScript had some scripting similarities.

beverly

• 2. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
            philmodjunk

What a "blast from the past" moment for me.

When I first acquired a copy of FileMaker (version 2.5, flat file...), I had just completed a class in creating Hypercard stacks and my first thought when I started to work with it was: "this is a lot like hypercard, but not as powerful."

• 3. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
              Draco

They have prices, ... by users?, ... what is this !!

Livecode is programming language !!, there is no user limit.

Livecode for FM, ... NOT is livecode.

• 4. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                IanRenwick

Hi Draco,

You are correct...it is NOT programming directly in LiveCode.

It is, however, a LiveCodeForFM plugin developed by LiveCode. That's what you are being asked to pay for.

I have had a chance to play with two of the demo components;

1. Camera Capture (using the built in camera on my MacBook Pro to capture pictures and video), and
                2. PDF Selection. Drag a PDF into the PDF File container field and then wander through the PDF pages to then create a selection as either an image or text that is saved in a Container or Text field

Both of these features are not currently available in FileMaker and offer enhancements that work seamlessly.

I also used the FORMS option to build a Form with incorporating a Scrollbar - another eye opener.

screenshot_567.jpg

and the result

screenshot_568.jpg

.... and I think this is just the start of more to come.

• 5. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                  IanRenwick

Thanks Beverly,

I have been impressed with the training and support resources developed by LiveCode. They are obviously keen to get FileMaker developers involved in their on-going development program.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                    IanRenwick

Haha, you have identified yourself as some who is (perhaps) a bit over 30. Yes, I recall thinking the same thing. Not only could you add fields and records in Hypercard but you could simply draw and add graphics, add page transitions, script buttons to jump to different cards, record/playback sound and so much more that I have forgotten - after all it was about 30 years ago. An amazing bit of free software. The original language is highly recognisable in it's current form and like FileMaker has evolved to offer developers so many more tools to build custom apps.

• 7. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                      jsubiros

I was discover LiveCode a few months ago, because of an Android problem with FM.

This is a very good new !!!

Thanks.

• 8. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                        beverly

uh oh! what does that make me? I was a beta-tester for HC.

beverly

• 9. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                          Draco

Hi,

The price is not clear, if I create an app. for AppleStore (using LC for FM), ... what is the value of the LiveCode For FM license?

I understand that I must have ( to program ) :

LiveCode: US $ 700 (Indy version) + LiveCode for FM US $ 524 (25 users)

Annual Price = 1,224

QUESTION : Could the application created (in LC + LCforFM) be used ONLY by 25 users?

regards

Draco

• 10. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                            fmpdude

If I can't buy it for a single price ONE TIME ONLY (NO FORCED SUBSCRIPTION) AND be able to create an APP (EXE, or similar), royalty-free for any number of users, it has zero interest for me.

• 11. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                              Draco

If that were the case, for me too... ( it has zero interest for me.)

• 12. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                                alecgregory

Draco wrote:

Hi,

The price is not clear, if I create an app. for AppleStore (using LC for FM), ... what is the value of the LiveCode For FM license?

I understand that I must have ( to program ) :

LiveCode: US $ 700 (Indy version) + LiveCode for FM US $ 524 (25 users)

Annual Price = 1,224

QUESTION : Could the application created (in LC + LCforFM) be used ONLY by 25 users?

regards

Draco

If it's a plug-in that you're buying then you won't be able to use it in FileMaker Go though, right? Or am I misunderstanding the product completely? I've never used LiveCode.

I suppose if your iOS app connected to a server that used the plug-in then it would be relevant.

In any case, on the site it says you can contact them if you have more than 250 users. They may well offer vertical licenses for a one-off fee, just ask.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                                  LCLtd

Thanks for your interest in LiveCode for FM.

To answer your questions: LiveCode is a separate product from the LiveCode for FM product. LiveCode Indy does indeed allow unlimited royalty free distribution of apps. However it does not integrate with FileMaker.

LiveCode for FM is different, it runs within FileMaker. That way you can use the two environments together, benefiting from FileMaker’s great drag-drop data tools and LiveCode’s native app capabilities, user interface tools, integration options and so on.

LiveCode for FM has a similar pricing model to FileMaker in that you pay per user. You do not need any other LiveCode license to use this product, just the LiveCode for FM one (it is not the case that you need Indy as well). The FileMaker niche is more limited than full native app development and therefore to recoup our investment we need to use that licensing model for this product line. We have both annual and perpetual licensing, the latter of which does not ever expire. We can offer licensing options for unlimited users for specific apps created with LiveCode for FM, please contact us to discuss those options if you are interested.

With regard to your question about FileMaker Go, the product does not yet support it but support is planned. To see progress on that feature please check our road map https://filemaker.livecode.com/roadmap/ you will see it listed there.

I hope this helps.

8 of 8 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: LiveCode for FileMaker
                                    alecgregory

Many thanks for the information and the link to the road map. I'll be keeping a close eye on the product as it develops.

1 2 3 Previous Next