AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition

Question asked by antoniodominion on Nov 16, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 by Karen

Hello Everyone --

It has come time that I must decide which version of FileMaker to purchase (license).  I am trying to decide between FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition.

I am developing a 'solution', mainly for use by myself, but at some point in the far off future, I may need to have someone else access the database, for example, to input data into my database.

First, can someone please tell me the advantages of purchasing the Advanced edition versus just the Pro edition?  The FileMaker website is a little vague about how much this would help me in developing my solution, as well as any other solutions that I might want to develop in the future, versus the Pro edition.

:-)

Second, for what I need -- a database accessed mainly by myself -- if I don't get the Server Edition, will I need to leave my iMac turned on all the time in order for my iPad to access the data with FileMaker Go?  Or, is there a web / cloud based way to make my data accessible at all times, without purchasing the 'full' Server edition?

For what it's worth, I don't really have a lot of money to purchase both versions, so if I can get by with just the Pro edition, or the Advanced, that would be most helpful.

Can you all please advise me as to what my thoughts should be regarding this?  Thank you very much for your kindest consideration of my question.  I look forward to hearing back from you, and I will await your responses.

Kind regards,

~Antonio Dominion

P.S. If I do purchase the 'Server' edition, must I also purchase the Pro or Advanced editions as well, to develop my solution, or does the Server edition ship with the capabilities of solution building that the Pro or Advanced does?

Outcomes