10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 3:01 PM by Karen

FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition

antoniodominion

Hello Everyone --

It has come time that I must decide which version of FileMaker to purchase (license).  I am trying to decide between FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition.

I am developing a 'solution', mainly for use by myself, but at some point in the far off future, I may need to have someone else access the database, for example, to input data into my database.

First, can someone please tell me the advantages of purchasing the Advanced edition versus just the Pro edition?  The FileMaker website is a little vague about how much this would help me in developing my solution, as well as any other solutions that I might want to develop in the future, versus the Pro edition.

:-)

Second, for what I need -- a database accessed mainly by myself -- if I don't get the Server Edition, will I need to leave my iMac turned on all the time in order for my iPad to access the data with FileMaker Go?  Or, is there a web / cloud based way to make my data accessible at all times, without purchasing the 'full' Server edition?

For what it's worth, I don't really have a lot of money to purchase both versions, so if I can get by with just the Pro edition, or the Advanced, that would be most helpful.

Can you all please advise me as to what my thoughts should be regarding this?  Thank you very much for your kindest consideration of my question.  I look forward to hearing back from you, and I will await your responses.

Kind regards,

~Antonio Dominion

P.S. If I do purchase the 'Server' edition, must I also purchase the Pro or Advanced editions as well, to develop my solution, or does the Server edition ship with the capabilities of solution building that the Pro or Advanced does?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
          David Moyer

Hi,

golly - expect a multitude of responses.  What I can say is that you don't need Server right now (you'll know it when you need it).  Between FMP and FMP Advanced ... As a metaphor:  FMP Advanced is for the car mechanic; FMP regular client version is for the car driver.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
            schamblee

Filemaker server is for hosting only.   FMS is need if uses will be connecting by the web.  (Webdirect)

Also if you have several users connecting at a time.  FMS will also create automatic backups of your database.

FMPA -  Create custom functions,  data viewer / script debugger, Developer Utilities. Create custom menus, plus a few more features.   See the following link  Build powerful custom apps faster | FileMaker Pro Advanced .   The website is confusing.  Don't click compare on the above link, just scroll the page and you will see a chart comparing FMP to FMPA.  FMPA is recommend for developers and FMP is recommend for users of the database.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
              philmodjunk

The extra developer tools in Advanced will save a developer hours of work. These tools will also enable a developer to build features that cannot be done without Advanced.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                keywords

1.     I agree with David: forget about buying FMServer for the present. And as you said, you need FMPro or FMAdv anyhow; Server is not another variant, it serves an entirely separate purpose. You may well need it eventually, but not yet. HOWEVER… consider becoming a TechNet Subscriber and you can have a free copy of Server to develop with:  https://community.filemaker.com/apps/technet

2.     Re: "I don't really have a lot of money to purchase both versions" You definitely don't need both; FMAdv has all the features if FMPro and then some. The extra features are well and truly worth the extra cost if you are doing some serious developing, which it sounds like you are. Chief among these are: (1) Script debugger, allowing you to step through scripts and see what is happening; (2) Data Viewer, allowing you to see temporary variable and all manner of other useful stuff as a script proceeds, as well as being able to develop calculations and see them in action before applying them inside fields; (3) Custom Functions; (4) Custom Menus; (5) ability to import tables, etc. You will very soon completely forget the extra dollars you paid.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                  CarlSchwarz

You will need your iMac on all the time to access your solution from your iPad.  You will also need a fixed IP address on your internet connection if you don't already have one.

The downside to not having server is that you are relying on your own backup strategy of the file in case your computer is corrupted or dies.  So you need to weigh up if your backup strategy is good enough, or your data is precious enough to require server for backups.

Their is a server option so that you don't need to purchase a server license.  It's called FileMaker Cloud  Access your custom apps in the cloud | FileMaker Cloud

FileMaker server can't be used to develop/access databases, it's a server only.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                    antoniodominion

Hello, and thank you to all who posted answers to my question posted herein!

I am now the happy owner of FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.  Now, to find / build my solution.

The reason that I say "find" is because I was doing a search on the Web for Google Images of FMP Layouts for Contacts, and found a picture, which I will attach hereto for the benefit of the ongoing conversation.  Nevertheless, I am also going to post it as a new question in the main forum.

This looks like it was once a FM Starter Solution, and it looks PERFECT for my needs.  Does anyone know how I might acquire this?

Thank you very much for your kindest consideration of my inquiry. I look forward to hearing back from you, and I will await your reply.

~Antonio

FileMaker_ContactManagement.jpg

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                      keywords

If this is indeed adapted from a Starter Solution, then you can do the same. In FM15 you find them a little differently:

1.     Choose File > Get Started

2.     In the resulting dialog window click the Choose a Starter Solution button in the centre. You will soon discover that the interface now looks a little different, and with a bit of luck the workings will be improved also. Anyhow, that's one way to get moving.

3.     Once the solution is open on your desktop, spend a bit of time exploring what it does and how it does it before you start trying to change things.

Good luck! (And I'm glad you decided to buy FMAdvanced; you won't regret it.)

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                        antoniodominion

Hello Keywords!

I am sorry for just getting back to this now, but I have been in other posts pursuing this.  Although I very much appreciate your directions to the FMP Starter Solutions, the current one is not as 'Advanced' as the one in the image that I posted previously.

Nevertheless, I also very much appreciate your confirmation of my purchase of FMP Advanced!  As with everything, I always have a little bit of 'buyers' remorse', so your comments help to alleviate that!

Take good care and best wishes!

~Antonio

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                          antoniodominion

Hello y'all!

I just wanted to update you that a gentleman here on the Forums was kind enough to provide me with the file that I needed.

Just wanted to let you know, so that you would not expend any more effort looking for it.

Take good care,

~Antonio

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro vs Advanced vs Server Edition
                            Karen

Regarding hosting from your computer to an iPad for offsite use:

If you are going to manage this yourself, chances are you just need a stable IP address, not a static one. Some folks are lucky enough to have a broadband provider who rarely change your assigned IP, so the cheaper 'home' package suffices.

I usually get a couple of years out of mine; it takes a long power outage to kill it.

Note - don't code your dynamic IP into anything. Point a website subdomain to it instead, and code that.