12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 5:12 PM by mattel

Filemaker Cloud Backups

sundown

I have just started using the FM Cloud trial version. I uploaded 4 Databases to use & test this operation.

Trying out the Backup capability, I did a Restore and it restored all 4 databases.

My question is how to monitor the timed backups to see the contents before I restore, and also how to select & restore just one of the databases?

When I had the server on my computer I could download & view each backed up database before I restored.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
          BowdenData

You should take a look at the product page and linked videos/documentation for FM Cloud.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-cloud/

I would also do a general search for this topic. There are various blog posts, videos, etc., published by some of the larger FileMaker developer shops. They talk about your question on restoring backups and much more.

Doug

• 2. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
            sundown

I read a Filemaker article on Backups & it is the reason for my concern.

According to the article the Restore from the Console Backups closes & restores all  of your databases which is time consuming. If you do not want to have a database restored, you have to first Download the Databases and then upload it again to replace the previously restored version. Still don't know if I can view the backups to find the one I want.

Not user friendly like my FMS on my computer where I can monitor all backups of individual databases & drag them out to replace only the selected database.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
              steveromig

I read a Filemaker article on Backups & it is the reason for my concern.

According to the article the Restore from the Console Backups closes & restores all of your databases which is time consuming. If you do not want to have a database restored, you have to first Download the Databases and then upload it again to replace the previously restored version. Still don't know if I can view the backups to find the one I want.

Not user friendly like my FMS on my computer where I can monitor all backups of individual databases & drag them out to replace only the selected database.

Im general, a "backup" is an "all or nothing" function.  We currently do not have the ability to restore just "FileA" from a backup.  If this is something you want to do, here is one approach...

https://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16114/

And also, there currently is no way to "peek" into a backup to see what it contains.  But with the new "labels" feature in the latest update you can "rename" your preserved backups to be a little more meaningful if you'd like.

And the auto-maintence backup happens in the middle of the night to limit the impact of "being down" as much as possible.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                wimdecorte

sundown wrote:

As an aside: I hope you don't drag files out of FMS backups... because of FMS's use of hard linking: if you move (drag) a file out of one backup set you may change all the backup sets that this file was hard linked to.

Always copy files out of backup sets...

• 5. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                  sundown

Actually I either make a copy or export the data.

This all or nothing restore without knowing the contents of the restore does not seem like a Filemaker design which is always so flexible and well designed.

Here is how I use my current FMS backups:

I have been hosting my databases on my computer server for years. I have about a dozen databases each with one hundred or so records each. The only time I need a backup is when someone calls & says they lost or deleted by mistake some records at an approximate time or date. I go back thru the databases on my computer in the Backup folder until I find the last backup before the data was lost. I can export or copy that data on my desktop & import (or replace the bad database) it in the on-line database. The one database on line is not down 5 minutes.

Looks like the FM Cloud method is going to be a time consuming trial and error search. Not like Filemaker. Must be an Amazon design.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                    wimdecorte

sundown wrote:

Looks like the FM Cloud method is going to be a time consuming trial and error search. Not like Filemaker. Must be an Amazon design.

It's a combination of FMI design and AWS.  Backups on FM Cloud are not done in the traditional FMS fashion through an FMS schedule where you can specify all files or one file or a folder of files.  On FM Clould the backups are basically snapshots of the entire data volume.  Which is why it is an all or nothing.

Here's an article on how you can do manual restores without first downloading the files you want to keep:

FileMaker Cloud & Backup Restore - Soliant Consulting

• 7. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                      PointInSpace

The pricing on our virtual dedicated servers is competitive with FileMaker Cloud, and unlike FileMaker Cloud gives you full FileMaker Server running on your VM - plus support and over 17 years of experience with hosting FileMaker.  Contact me privately if you want more information.

- Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                        sundown

Looks like the only practical way I can be prepared for one of my employees deleting some data by mistake is to export the records from each database each night and keep them in a folder on my desktop. With an off-line database I can import & view each exported backup in the search and then import good data to the on-line database.

Requires manual operation but it is simple & flexible.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                          wimdecorte

sundown wrote:

Looks like the only practical way I can be prepared for one of my employees deleting some data by mistake is

That's a business logic problem though... you can build an audit log into your solution for instance.

As to backup strategies: FM Cloud keeps a good set so if you catch the deletion quickly enough (within the week).  Plus you can enhance the backup policy with some retention rules where you take the AWS snapshots and move them to AWS S3 or Glacier and keep a lot more sets.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                            sundown

Hi John, did you get my email?

• 11. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                              PointInSpace

I did - please check your inbox now.

- John

• 12. Re: Filemaker Cloud Backups
                                mattel

You can take a snapshot that the FM Cloud creates, then create a volume from it.

Then attach that volume to your FM cloud instance.  in this case I attached it as xvdg

Then:

Ssh into server

lsblk

sudo mkdir /oldbackup

sudo mount /dev/xvdg /oldbackup   -- confirm xvdg is the location the volume mapped to the server as.

Cd /oldbackup/Data/Databases

sudo cp /oldbackup/Data/Databases/*.fmp12 /FileMakerData/Data/Databases/

*move any other files as needed

Then cd /FileMakerData/Data/Databases/

sudo chown fmserver:fmsadmin *.fmp12

sudo chmod 644 TOP-Office-KB-whatever

Sign into the new control panel

go to databases and open the files with the previously used encryption password and check the box to save the password.

These were my directions for migrating to a new instance of FM cloud which I've had to do numerous times due to other ones crashing and ceasing to function.  Your results may vary.

Also you can't SSH into the server unless you allow the port 22 in your security group, best to only allow it from your IP or a known range of ips.