8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 1:31 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library

tjm70

I have several large databases of lantern slides that I created in an earlier version of FileMaker (Pro 9). When I tried to convert the database to the new version of FileMaker running on Mac Sierra, I discovered that FileMaker's "Insert ... Picture ..." can't see the subfolders in Photos Library, probably because they are hidden by definition in the Finder. I have tried various scripting options with the path to direct the program to the appropriate folder, but none of these works. By contract, all the Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, etc.) *can* see the individual photos that reside in the Photos Library, so this is clearly something that can be programmed into an application.

As a workaround, I have stored all my photos in a separate folder and imported them into Photos as thumbnails, but this is a clumsy alternative.

If anyone has figured out a way to do this, I would be glad to hear about it. Otherwise, I hope the developers will correct this problem in an update.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
          TSGal

tjm70:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
            TSGal

tjm70:

My apologies for the late reply.

Our Testing department is unable to reproduce the issue.  In essence, the Tester is able to see the sub-folders or items inside Photos from the Media section.  After setting up sub-folders, I can also access the sub-folders.

While in the Container field, right-click and select "Insert Picture...".  When the listing of files appear, scroll the left pane down to Media and click on Photos.  All of your folders and sub-folders will now appear.

I am using an iMac 27" under macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
              tjm70

Dear TSGal:

Many thanks for your response, which has turned out to be very helpful. When I tried (prior to writing to you) to import photos as I was re-creating my databases on the new computer, I thought the photos would appear in the "Pictures" folder because that is where they appeared (in the folder "iPhotos Library") in the older systems, that is where the application Photos appears, and I didn't even know there was a "Media" section in the left pane. That section isn't visible below the "Tags" section in the window as I had it sized (and because I didn't know it even existed, it didn't occur to me to look for it there), and as far as I can tell, it doesn't routinely appear in the left pane of every application.

As far as I can discover in the Filmmaker Pro instructions, where I looked for a solution, there is no reference to going to the "Media" section in order to find the picture one wishes to insert. Perhaps it would be helpful to have something in the online help along the lines you've outlined in your message.

There is still a related question for you from my original message. When I first tried to re-import all my pictures (more than 4000 of them), I used a process I had been using on my older machines whenever I needed to move the database from one machine to another: I created a file that specified the path to each photo in each record as it was stored in the various subfolders on the computer, imported this file mapped to the container filed, and it worked perfectly. But this doesn't work in the current version of FileMaker, probably because the folders where the pictures are stored are now hidden (by design) on the computer. Can you give me an example of a sample path to a photo so that I will be able to do what I used to do in the past?

Meanwhile, thanks very much for explaining how to find the pictures in the current version of FileMaker. This is very helpful.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
                monkeybreadsoftware

Did you look into MBS Plugin and the Drag & Drop features there?

you can define a drop area and get a script triggered if data is dropped. And I bet that works for Photos app.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
                  tjm70

Thanks for the tip. I've just had a brief look at it and will investigate further. My first sense, though, is that this won't work because the idea is to store only a reference to the photo in each of the more than 4000 records (not the actual photo because that makes the database much too large) and the photos are stored in more than  a dozen different folders. So, I don't quite see what I would drag and drop that could enable the plug-in to recognize where each picture is stored on the computer and which picture should go with which record. I know of course that I can drag and drop each picture individually, but the whole point is to avoid having to do this each time the database is moved from one machine to another.

But I'll look into the plug-in more carefully to see if it would work, and I do appreciate the tip!

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
                    TSGal

tjm70:

Even if the folders are hidden, you should still be able to access the contents in hidden folders (e.g., the user's Library folder).  On my system, I see photos stored in the Photos Library at:

[Hard Disk] -> Users -> [User Account] -> Pictures -> Photos Library -> ...

Inside the Photos Library, there are several folders including Masters and Originals.  I'm sure you will see similar results.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
                      tjm70

That is what I tried initially, and it didn't work. But I will try it again, and if it still doesn't work, now that I know how to insert a photo manually (thanks to your explanation), I think I can figure out what the path should be.

Was I correct in observing that there's no place in the help files that tells the user he or she must go to the media section to find the photos? If so, I hope you can add this information.

So, thank you again for your help.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 can't import photos from Photos Library
                        TSGal

tjm70:

Your observations are correct.  Inserting pictures specifically from the Photos app is not documented.  I have sent this information to our Documentation department to consider adding the Photos application to the Insert Picture Help topic.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.