14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2016 6:57 PM by Malcolm

Automatic interconnection

ChrisJohnston

If have the need for a way to connect data. What I am thinking about is a way to do something like this.

DATA-----<CONNECTION>-----DATA_Connected

When the DATA:: records are made with a certain connection, how can I ensure that everything gets interconnected. Meaning; if I connect record DATA001 to DATA003… then I later connect DATA001 to DATA007… I want DATA003 to automatically get connected to DATA007.

• 1. Re: Automatic interconnection
          coherentkris

in your design CONNECTION is a join table.

In theory its an associative entity

Associative entity - Wikipedia

It should contain a primary key and foreign keys to each of the other tables. The rest youll have to figure out for yourself as you have not given us much details

• 2. Re: Automatic interconnection
            ChrisJohnston

Yes, I know it as a JOIN table, but what you show is the case. I have the foreign keys. I was creating a record in the join table sort of like this. It worked well to create the handshake between records but not for interconnection. I was wondering if the only way is an intricate set of loops, or is there a slicker way (to gain the interconnection between records). Thanks

createConRel.pngcreateConn.png

• 3. Re: Automatic interconnection
              bigtom

Again it is not clear why you need this so the advice will vary. Have you considered a simple Data-<DataConneted, where DataConnected has a multi-key field. This would allow for multi record relationships.

Why do you need this?

• 4. Re: Automatic interconnection
                ChrisJohnston

I would like the data records to become connected with the other via their ties to their records in context. If I create relationship between DATA001 to DATA003… then I later create relationship between DATA001 to DATA007… I want DATA003 to automatically be given a relationship with DATA007. The reason why I want this is so if I make DATA007 the context, I want to see all records related to the work I am trying to accomplish. Thanks

• 5. Re: Automatic interconnection
                  beverly

It may depend on the paths-on-the-graph, but if you have:

DATA003 |-| DATA001 |-| DATA007

then you can "tunnel" via the link to DATA001 between DATA003 and DATA007

is that what you meant?

beverly

• 6. Re: Automatic interconnection
                    ChrisJohnston

I think so, and when I add DATA015 to the related (connected) group, that they all can see

DATA001

DATA003

DATA007

DATA015

Of course minus the one in context, as related (connected) records. Thanks

• 7. Re: Automatic interconnection
                      beverly

then again...

maybe you need a Join table for setting up as many "relationships" as needed?

beverly

• 8. Re: Automatic interconnection
                        Malcolm

You are asking a very abstract question, which is why you are getting such vague responses. Basic relationships are easily described. Complex relationships don't have cookie cutter solutions.

As you are using a script to generate new records you may be able to use this idea.

The connection table could have an aggregator, key_field_combined which is populated as List (key_field_1 ; key_field_2). By using key_field_combined as your join key you will have all sorts of combinations.

If you want to get really funky, you may find that using SQL queries is easier than hard-coding complex relationships in the graph.

• 9. Re: Automatic interconnection
                          BruceRobertson

Vague identical-looking TO names. No understandable purpose.

Stating a kind of variation on what Malcom is saying.

Take this FWIW. Generally, I can unscramble a lot of forum puzzles, and I can't understand where any of this is going or what on earth leads you to try to do this.

• 10. Re: Automatic interconnection
                            ChrisJohnston

Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

you may find that using SQL queries...

You mean ExecuteSQL correct? I hope so, I seem to work with those better than creating FileMaker relationships. Although I am very interested in exploring what you describe as possible option here...

Complex relationships don't have cookie cutter solutions.

...that is, i want to work with more complex relationships than the standard ones I am comfortable with. Thanks so much.

• 11. Re: Automatic interconnection
                              Malcolm

yes, I mean ExecuteSQL.

malcolm

• 12. Re: Automatic interconnection
                                ChrisJohnston

No desire to confuse you. I was just thinking it could give some clue. I see now maybe not what I intended to convey. Basically, our solution is doing its job displaying data for the purpose of help with support type issues. The programmers who use the data have asked is there a way to connect the data to other data in the related group of records. As I started imagining a complex set of loops teamed with GTRR script steps and relate them each time (if) a new connection is needed on already connected data. So i wanted to see what suggestions I get. Thanks so much.

• 13. Re: Automatic interconnection
                                  ChrisJohnston

The connection table could have an aggregator, key_field_combined which is populated as List (key_field_1 ; key_field_2). By using key_field_combined as your join key you will have all sorts of combinations.

You know what, I had thought of this, but because I had never seen it I considered it to be my own goofy idea... maybe not a best practice. So a multikey can be use as a key_field in a JOIN table? Now that I say it... of course it can... why not! A JOIN table is just a many to many relationship. OK, I think I know exactly what I will do. I will report back. Thanks so much.

• 14. Re: Automatic interconnection
                                    Malcolm

How about this:

Use a scripted find to generate a found set in your join table, sort by

the second key field and generate a sub-summary arranged by summary of

the count of records in each group. That would give you a list of the

elements linked to your current element arranged by frequency.

Malcolm