5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 12:26 PM by JTG

Record search within a custom function

JTG

The database I'm working on has a calculated field in a table.  This field holds the number of working days between an initial date (stored in the same table) and the current date obtained with the Get(CurrentDate) function.

The difficulty is that I need to take into account vacation days stored in another table.  The working days calculation is specific to a person and each person has his/her own unique vacation schedule.   I was thinking to do the calculation via a custom function, however, I have found no way to search a table from within a custom function.  Have I missed something about custom functions in this regard?

I would appreciate any suggestions about how to approach this problem using custom functions or otherwise.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Record search within a custom function
          David Moyer

Hi,

well, you can't "search" for records within a custom function; but you can "relate" to specific record sets using some sort of relationship.

• 2. Re: Record search within a custom function
            erolst

Of course, the idea behind a Custom Function is abstraction; that's why there is no interface to select field references.

But you can either copy and paste a field reference (or just type it), or - true to the spirit of abstraction - add a parameter to the function that lets you "inject" a list of dates into it, e.g.

CalculateWorkingDays ( listOfHolidays )

and use it like

CalculateWorkingDays ( MyGlobalTable::gMyHolidayListField )

In fact, there are already CFs out there doing exactly that ...

• 3. Re: Record search within a custom function
              philmodjunk

Let us not forget that we can use ExecuteSQL to search records from within a calculation and that can definitely be part of a custom function's design.

Just pointing out that:

well, you can't "search" for records within a custom function

can be done so long as you just need a value (a count of the number of vacation days for a given employee in this case) and not the actual found set.

• 4. Re: Record search within a custom function
                David Moyer

ahh, I always forget about the SQL options.  I wish folks could use FM as the "formerly known as the inexpensive, beginner-friendly, sole-proprietor solution" to do what they need without learning SQL.

p.s.  I've spent 25 years working around FM's limitations.

• 5. Re: Record search within a custom function
                  JTG

Everyone --

Thanks for the quick replies; they have stimulated my thinking, particularly the suggestion from erolst.

I have to pull dates from a related (Vacation) table and an unrelated (Holiday) table.  At this time, I believe that I will use the relationship for the related table and an SQL query for the unrelated table.  Let me know if I'm making this more complicated than necessary.

Thanks again.