AnsweredAssumed Answered

Licensing Model and Disconnected Editing

Question asked by turtle_mapper on Nov 21, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 by skywillmott

We have been using Filemaker since 2011. Our primary use has been Filemaker GO aka mobile. We almost exclusively work offline or 'disconnected', so for those of you up on licensing differences with Legacy licensing and Teams licensing will know that there is therefore a challenge for us because Teams does not support disconnected editing. (we work in mountainous terrain and in places where there are cell towers).

We have done a lot of research and work with Filemaker sales people trying to determine exactly where the licensing model with Filemaker is headed. It seems very strange that there are two license models, (with the new one being more expensive, but that is an aside) unless Filemaker is moving towards phasing out legacy licensing. Sales people said that Legacy doesn't mean 'old', but I don't have a lot of confidence in that given the dictionary meaning of the word.

So here is my question: I am looking for some advice from the community on whether to continue with Filemaker. Not being able to work offline is completely useless to us. I am sure that we are not the only people in the world with this challenge and would be interested in knowing how other folks using a disconnected editing approach are addressing this. I am about to start a new solution and want to know if I should bother with Filemaker.

We are looking at our other options with other pieces of software, just as a note for Filemaker company and others, and there are pros and cons with each approach on mobile.

Outcomes