1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 7:58 AM by TSPigeon

Filemaker Server Crash Log

MattMatthews

I'm running FMS15.02 and now have had 2 bad crashes for a mission critical DB running on the server.  The 1st one corrupted the .cfg file and I had to move to my backup server.  I believe I have fixed the old FMS install by removing the .cfg file (so a new on get created) and then redeployed the server; This was about 4 weeks ago and then I had another crash today.  This is becoming a bad trend so I need help to see if there is a bug (e.g. memory leak) that is the source.  Can someone please review the the DMP file?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
          TSPigeon

MattMatthews:

Thank you for your post!

I can definitely forward the dump file for review, but it may take some time to receive a response.

You might start with these steps:

1. Uninstall FileMaker Server 15.0.2

2. Rename the FileMaker Server Folder to "FileMaker Server Old" -this will exclude any damaged installation files.

3. Verify the OS is up to date

4. Reboot the machine

5. Download fresh installer of FileMaker Server 15.0.3 - Reinstall

To check for damage you could also run recovery on your Database Files before uploading them

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
            MattMatthews

Interesting, I did not realize 15.03 FMS was out. 

So you think a fresh install is better then just an update; how do I get the Full install version of 15.03?  I'm on support. Do I just down load the a free trial and then use my license key?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
              TSPigeon

MattMatthews:

I do believe following the steps above will be better than just updating. You would want to use your Software Download Page where you originally downloaded the installer and found your License Key. If you need this resent, please contact Customer Support -I was unable to find Server 15 with the email address for your Community Account.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                MattMatthews

Again thanks for the help so far.  In a related question to this crash, I want to create a way for one of my senior users (not a admin) to be able to reboot FMS and the Server if it's hanging (as a potential quick fix).  I'm afraid that a hard restart at the Windows server level can cause more FMS db issues so I want to create a script that closes all the required components in the correct orders to optimize the best shutdown.  I'm been trying to find note in the documentation or forum with the best practice for restarting the sever but have not found one.  Do you have a link to share for this?  Also ideally a sample set of command line steps?

Here is more of what I'm thinking is the best practice (unless I can just go strait to stopping the OS service):

• Close all databases
                • Stop the database server
                • Did I need to separately stop the Web Engine and XBDC Listener?
                • Stop the Filemaker Service (at OS level)
                • Restart the server/hardware.
                • 5. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                  MattMatthews

I'm going to load FMS 15.03 on my backup sever so does Filemaker have a way to issue a testing key so I can using that server to test the files, php & webdirect?  If not I assume I download a trial version and then change to the permanent key later?  You inferred above to load from my licence download link; is there a difference?

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                    TSPigeon

MattMatthews:

As far as stopping FileMaker Server:

-You can have non-admin users go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Stop FileMaker Server

*This will close the files and stop any processes appropriately without any additional steps.

You will want to use a Trial of FileMaker Server 15.0.3 unless you have a Developer's Subscription. With a Developer's Subscription you would have a test license available in the Access Benefits section of your Community Account.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                      MattMatthews

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!

Thanks so much, this will make things a lot easier (both answers!)

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                        MattMatthews

One more question.  I have installed 15.03 now and wonder what you recommend for the DB Cashe setting as a best practice as this can effect crashing? 

At the FMS cashe setup, it says I have a max of 14563 MB to use.  Currently I have it set at 5120 mb.  I use FMS with Webdirect a bunch and have 5 small php pages.  What do you think?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                          TSPigeon

MattMatthews:

I can't make an exact recommendation, but you might see "8." under "OPTIMIZE THE HOST COMPUTER" in Optimizing network performance for shared databases. It may take some review to decide whether to raise or lower the set Cache. Other developers on this community have different methods that you might find more efficient or reliable, so you might also make a post asking about this in Discussions.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                            JEDtech

I've reported this before but that document seriously needs an update.  In part it states:

Remote connections should be via a fast broadband connection, such as a T1 line, DSL or cable modem.  Dial-up connections using modems are extremely slow.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                              MattMatthews

I think I have narrow down the source of my server crashes to some script running on the server.  The issue is that I'm not capturing the error when no records are found in a Perform Find.  I have fixed all the scripts now but I still believe this is an FMS issue to be address because all the scripts are schedule to Abort after 5 minutes (and they do) but the FMS still crashes.  I'm now on 15.03 and same issue as 15.02.  I will upload the latest DMP file for Filemaker to review. Again, just because a script hangs the server should not crash (especially when it get aborted).

• 12. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                                MattMatthews

Crash Update: This crashed again today (after changing the scripts for capture errors if no records are found) and the issue now seems to be 2 scripts running at the same time.  The Max Simultaneous Script Sessions =25.  Should this be an issue with FMS?  Note the scripts timed out at 5 minutes but the FMS server still hung.  As a workaround I have scheduled them at different times but can you help?

• 13. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                                  MattMatthews

Hi TS, I have made a few updates to this related issue as I'm still crashing.  I guess if I don't hear anything after this update, I'll assume this issue is not being tracked or closed and open a new issue.  Here is my last update on the issue I'm seeing with 2 schedule scripts running at the same time causing the crash:

Crash Update: This crashed again today (after changing the scripts for capture errors if no records are found) and the issue now seems to be 2 scripts running at the same time.  The Max Simultaneous Script Sessions =25.  Should this be an issue with FMS?  Note the scripts timed out at 5 minutes but the FMS server still hung.  As a workaround I have scheduled them at different times but can you help?

• 14. Re: Filemaker Server Crash Log
                                    TSPigeon

MattMatthews:

Apologies. I must have missed your update from a few days ago.

Unless there is some damage or an issue with one of the scripts, I don't think there would be an issue with running them at roughly the same time.

I am going to forward your latest .DMP file for review and see if we have any further feedback from the .DMP we previously submitted.

Thank you for your patience!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next