3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 12:23 PM by melclift

Joining Text Fields - calculation

melclift

Hi everyone,

This probably has a really simple answer.

I have 4 fields for names -  vendor name, vendor surname, vendor first name2, vendor surname2

I have worked out how to join the fields based on the assumption that there is data in each field:

Vendor Name & " " &Vendor Surname & " & " & Vendor firstname2 & " " & Vendor Surname2

Giving the result:

John Smith & Fred Jones

My question is - if I don't have a second vendor, ie, no Fred Jones, how do I stop the "&" from showing in the resulting field?

Many thanks,

Mel

• 1. Re: Joining Text Fields - calculation
          erolst

Try this:

Let ( [

first = VendorName & " " & VendorSurname ;

second = VendorName2 & " " & VendorSurname2

] ;

Substitute ( List ( first ; second ) ; Char(10) ; " & " )

)

You could apply that method to the two pairs of name themselves first, then join the results of those calculations.

On another note: consider your database design.

The only place where you should have two name fields is in a table where you store entities that have names. But then you'd only have one set of name fields, because one record = one entity instance.

The place where you could have two names is in a related table. But there you would a) use IDs, and b) if you could have two (or more) named entities, you'd probably create a join or a child table.

• 2. Re: Joining Text Fields - calculation
            keywords

Assuming you only have to check once (i.e. the two vendor2 fields go together—if you have one you'll have both) try:

Vendor Name & " " &Vendor Surname & If ( IsEmpty ( Vendor fisrtname2 ; "" ; " & " & Vendor firstname2 & " " & Vendor Surname2 )

• 3. Re: Joining Text Fields - calculation
              melclift

This is exactly what I wanted - thank you!!