AnsweredAssumed Answered

Learning path from version 11 to 15?

Question asked by sreubart on Nov 22, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 by David Moyer

Yes, we FINALLY got around to upgrading from version 11 to version 15. We've had a maintenance agreement all this time, but the change in the file format and the need to upgrade all users and the server simultaneously was a stumbling block.

So I know there are a number of differences. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for the most efficient way to get myself up to speed on what's different and what to look out for as I convert my version 11 databases. I suspect I could start with version 12 and read the release notes in sequence, but I have to believe there's a better way. I have already copied over the version 11 databases and converted them to .fmp12 format, and most things seem to work properly, but I don't want to deploy to my users until I'm sure I've tested everything pretty well. I've been using FileMaker since version 1, so I'm pretty comfortable with layouts, file structures, scripting, etc.

Also, I'm struggling with figuring out how the "upload to server" thing works. Is this the method for sending a new version of a database to the server so that you don't have to close everything first? If someone can tell me when that feature first appeared, I can look it up in the appropriate documentation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Outcomes