1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 9:56 PM by zzeve

FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size

mrarchaeology

Having an odd issue with FileMaker Go v15. I have multiple users connecting with iPads to a FM server (v14) hosting a database for mobile field memo creation and distribution.

The key component is saving the memos to PDFs that can be easily emailed to clients. With the compatibility issues between iOS 10.x and FM Go 14, some users moved to FM Go 15 (I have both on my iPad). This resolved major crashing issues, however the Save as PDF interface is different (not a major issues), there is no viewing of PDFs prior to saving (addressed elsewhere, and not too major), but on version 15 the PDFs are much larger in size. For example on a device with FM Go 14 the PDF saves as a 520 KB file, but on FM 15 (even on the same device just seconds later) it saves as a 3 MB file! FileMaker PRO Advanced (v 14 and 15) both create the PDF at 520 KB.

The memos include about 3 pages, one of text, one a full page photo, and finally a page or more of 4x6 photos. All photos are automatically resized on import to the DB to 800x600, and are thus minimal each.

The only difference I can find is in the PDF creator listed in the attributes of the file in Adobe. FM GO 15 has the PDF producer as" iPhone OS 10.1.1 Quartz PDFContext while v 14 has it as 10.0.2.  

With over a 100 memos generated and emailed each week, the difference in storage and mobile data use is a concern. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
          phlowen

We are actually experiencing the same issue.  If I upload the data and create the PDF on FileMaker PRO the PDFs are +/- 3mb.  If generated on FileMaker GO 15 they are between 12-30mb each.  This makes them too large to email, meaning we cannot distribute the report to our clients.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
            Johan Hedman

From FMP14.6 and forward FileMaker uses a new PDF engine. This new engine have better support för OS both on Windows and Mac and should render better with colors.

If you can make a example file and show the difference of PDFs created before and after FMP14.6 I think FMI would like to see those as a Product Issue

Report a Product Issue

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
              rgordon

I do not find a difference between FileMaker Go 15 and 14 when creating PDFs but my PDFs contain only text.  I would suspect something is going with how FileMaker Go handles the photos.

BTW, you can preview the PDF in fmgo 15 if you use the Print option.  This will give you a small preview in the print box.  If you spread your finger and thumb on the preview it will expand to full screen.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                zzeve

I have the same problem,it‘s very depressed,I have try to use different iPhone,and found the newer iPhone(iPhone SE,iPhone 6 plus) will print more large pdf ,even more than 10MB, same file in iPhone 5c will be hundreds of KB,the pdf contains 3 pages,several small pictures.

Everyday we have large numbers of reports to sent to costumer, as our iPhone change from 5c to SE and newer, this problem become more and more serious, Can't wait for filemaker to solve this big problem.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                  rouelf

In FM Go, Large pdf’s are a pain, but I know that in FM Go, we can manually export container fields containing a pdf to a cloud drive, such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, and Dropbox.  Then it a is matter to construct the proper URL link to send to clients to download these large pdf files.

But it will take someone here, more able in all things FM, to help on how to construct these URL links. I have not done it, since have not had the need, yet.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                    rouelf

People may already know this, but here it is just in case ....

Have just tested with Google Drive, and DropBox:

In FM Go, we can manually export the content (a large pdf file) in a container to an cloud drive, specifically Google Drive and DropBox. Then in iOS, manually using the Google Drive app or the DropBox app, we can get a sharable link of the exported pdf file, which can be copied and pasted for emailing the link to clients or ….

Not elegant, since it is manual, but it works.

We can also export to iCloud Drive, but a sharable link can not be made in iOS, as far as I can figure.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                      skywillmott

Same problem here... I have tested using a very simple file with 6 container fields containing photos taken on iPad, and then sized to max 600px tall and wide using the GetThumbnail script step. With the exact same file in Go 14 the exported PDF is under 500kb, but in Go 15 it is nearly 4MB - about 8x the file size! 

For some of my solutions where PDFs are generated and emailed using scripts, this is a big problem in Go 15 as file sizes are much bigger than they need to be.....

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                        phlowen

We have been doing extensive testing and data collection.  We have over 30 users in the field currently and have added data collection to each of their reports to gather iOS version, FMGo Version, app build, etc. trying to establish a pattern.  It took a while to nail it down definitively, but we've got it.

Our issues only show themselves in FMGo 15.0.2.

We had most of our users on FMGo 13 (our preferred version - which is no longer available).

We have discovered that users on everything prior to 15.0.2 do not experience the bloated PDF issue.  Our solution is the same across all devices, so there is nothing in our coding that could be a variable.

I would be happy to provide a copy of our solution to FileMaker for testing, but will not post it publicly as it is proprietary. 

I am currently spending over an hour each day re-creating all of our reports on the desktop, which renders them without the bloat using all of the same data. 

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                          mrarchaeology

Phlowen, I agree. In all of our testing the one consistent factor in oversized PDFs is FMGo 15. I have manually recreated a few of the larger memos on the desktop, but I do not have the time or workflow ability to manually recreate all of the PDF memos on the desktop as they are often sent directly from the field to the client during inspections. Looks like we are stuck with large PDFs until FileMaker fixes or changes the PDF creator in FMGo.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                            skywillmott

I reported this problem as an issue and supplied a sample file to demonstrate it which has been passed to Development and Testing at FMI, which have been able to replicate the issue and so are aware of it. The problem certainly seems to be related to creation of PDFs in Go 15 from layouts with container fields on them, i.e. images..

Hopefully will be resolved in a future update to Go 15....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                              user27145

hey there

we made a small example just to show u the problem:

http://www.realview.ch/projekt/pdf.zip

200 Pictures - size between 50-100kb

FM Go 13: 9.88 mb

FM Go 14: 9.88 mb

FM Go 15: 67.78 mb

Pro Adv 15: 10.11 mb

Greetings

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                                phlowen

That is exactly in line with what we have observed, User27145.

Would love to see FM weigh in on this...

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                                  phlowen

"

mrarchaeology wrote:

Phlowen, I agree. In all of our testing the one consistent factor in oversized PDFs is FMGo 15. I have manually recreated a few of the larger memos on the desktop, but I do not have the time or workflow ability to manually recreate all of the PDF memos on the desktop as they are often sent directly from the field to the client during inspections. Looks like we are stuck with large PDFs until FileMaker fixes or changes the PDF creator in FMGo.

Unfortunately, that is not an option for us, since our clients require we disseminate our reports via email.  We have invested a lot of energy into keeping our file size <5mb to that end, yet now many of our files are upwards of 50mb and cannot be delivered by email.

This ties my hands to have to re-create the files each day.

We were compressing the files, but the injury to the image quality was too significant.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go v15 Large PDF File Size
                                    zzeve

I have the same problem, I have compress the picture when  the container modified,and the pictures were confirmed only saved 20k~30k,but the PDF including only 10 picture is lager than 7MB,the same file created by MAC only about 500k。

Our old iPhones have maintained previous levels100~300k,but as the iPhones damage and replaced with iPhone 6,7 and SE,It can't work anymore!

Is it possible for FileMaker to solve this problem this summer?

1 2 Previous Next