4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2016 9:25 AM by taylorsharpe

installed filemaker server developer but where is the key for fm/advanced?

PeterCortiel

As I understood the description for 99 $ I get server PLUS advanced to develope apps. All I need is there it said on the web site

I only got one key. I went through the install but FM is still in test mode and the key I have does not work to unlock FM

How do I get a key for FM/advanced??

Or did I get duped?

Peter

• 1. Re: installed filemaker server developer but where is the key for fm/advanced?
          planteg

Hi Peter,

the FDS membership give you access to a Developer copy of FMS, and FileMaker Pro preview when there is one (the next one will be prior FPM 16 release). Oh you may also download for free the Advanced version of FileMaker Training Series. You don't get a free copy of FMP/FMPA with FDS. What make you think you would get one ?

• 2. Re: installed filemaker server developer but where is the key for fm/advanced?
            PeterCortiel

I had asked prior and missed the training word before advanced. My bad. But i had asked if this gives me everything. It was not pointed out that I need to buy advanced in addition.

Since I am retired and do this only for keeping my brain intact I did not think to invest a lot of dollars.

I guess I should have just bought advanced. But i thought to move to fm go i need the server

An I uninstall and return it?

This is what i had gotten:

o Peter,

Thank you for contacting FileMaker Customer Support.

With the FileMaker Developer Subscription we provide the latest version of the FileMaker Training Series: Advanced, a testing copy of FileMaker Server 15 that has a few limited connections (only meant for testing your solution) and pre-release versions of FileMaker software (though this isn't always guaranteed). You can also access a deeper portion of the FileMaker Community forums to communicate with other developers.

For additional information, please contact Customer Support at: +1 800-325-2747, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time (U.S. holidays excluded), and reference case number: 161121-000454.

Thank you,

Andrew Ellifritz

FileMaker, Inc. – An Apple Subsidiary

5201 Patrick Henry Drive

Santa Clara, CA 95054

• 3. Re: installed filemaker server developer but where is the key for fm/advanced?
              David Moyer

Hi,

do you own any previous versions of FM?  An upgrade to Advanced is cheaper, "but not nothin'".  You could consider the FDS an expensive mistake, or you could take advantage of it once you get a copy of FMP Advanced.  (You don't have to have Advanced, but it's worth it).  The difference between the Advanced and Basics training manuals is about $20 and 650 pages of material.  Having the limited-connection Server is really needed if you want to develop multiple-user (over 5 client) solutions; but you'd need to work for someone with full-blown Server for that development tool to be very useful.  You can buy your own, but that's thousands of dollars.

• 4. Re: installed filemaker server developer but where is the key for fm/advanced?
                taylorsharpe

Sorry about your misunderstanding.  But as stated above, FMPA does not come free with FDS.  Only a limited version of FMS comes with FDS. 

But there are other ways to get free copies of FMPA.  One is to go to the FileMaker Developer's conference.  You get a free copy of FMPA for each registration. 

I think in the past you could get FMPA with the FDS program back when it cost a lot more.  I forget the details, but things have changed since then.  I think you also get a copy of FMPA if you join the FileMaker Business Alliance and you might consider doing that so that you can also resell software too. 

Basically there are no free rides for getting FMPA.  The "free" ways to get it involve spending more money on other things that happen to include it.  So it is not really ever free.