1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 4:18 AM by wimdecorte

Configure Windows Server 2012

dejosejimpaul

I've just installed Windows Server 2012 and I would like to try FileMaker Server. I would like to know how to configure this server from the ground up to run FileMaker Server. What roles I need to add, what options I need to setup, etc. I'm just new to this and not well experienced in server environment.

• 1. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
          wimdecorte

That is a very generic question and not easily answered in a forum like this.

Since this is for testing, let the server at its 'plain vanilla'.  No need to add roles, the FMS installer will add them when it needs it.

If you want to use the FMS web publishing you could consider adding the IIS role first, but don't configure it in any way, just leave it as the core installer leaves it.

If you leave the Windows firewall on, you'll need to punch a hole for port 5003 at the very least so that users can open the hosted files.  More ports are needed if you want to access the admin console remotely.  Google 'ports used by filemaker server'

• 2. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
            taylorsharpe

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/15/en/fms15_getting_started.pdf     

This has all the details you need to set up FileMaker server.  It actually is really easy and if you just choose the defaults, you can set it up without really knowing anything and it'll work.  Obviously it helps to do some extra work on security like getting the SSL certificate installed, and scheduling backups, etc.  Probably the biggest challenge to newbies is making sure that nothing else touches the live FileMaker database files such as virus scans, indexing, backups, etc.  For backups, only use FM's backup process.  Even snapshots are not safe without pausing the database. 

• 3. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
              dejosejimpaul

Hi wim thank you for the feedback, during installation the setup prompts me that port 80 was in use and gives me an option, a button to "Disable website" which I have clicked. The setup finished installing FMS but upon accessing  the admin console via IE browser I get an error it's not showing up. I haven't touch / modify the server installation and have not made changes to the firewall. What might be the fix for this?

• 4. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                wimdecorte

Did you install IIS before installing FMS?

What error exactly do you get when you try to access the console?  Are you trying that from the machine itself or a remote machine?

• 5. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                  dejosejimpaul

Ah yes, I did install IIS before installing FMS and using the same machine. The error looks like the page cannot be displayed or problem loading page.

• 6. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                    planteg

Hi dejosejimpaul,

IIS installation creates a default Web site that is accessed through ports 80 and 443. If you want to use the standard ports with the FMS Web Site, you need to disable IIS own default Web site.

Regarding the console issue, true that would be nice to get the exact error message. Better than that please provide a screen shot displaying the error message as well as the address in the address bar.

• 7. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                      taylorsharpe

If you didn't install IIS before installing FMS, then FMS installation would have installed it and set it up correctly for FMS.  But if you set it up first, then you can run into a conflict with what you set up and what FMS wants to set up.  That is why if you take a default Windows 2012 server and do nothing to it but run the FMS install, then it'll be up and running just fine.  It is when you do other things that the FMS install might not find things where expected. 

• 8. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                        dejosejimpaul

I've reinstalled Win Server 2012 and installed FMS 15 right away. True, FMS 15 setup configure what's needed for the server machine. I did installed FMS 15 successfully and I now have access to the admin console. I've uploaded a sample database to access by the client. The problem now is the client tries to access the hosted database via open remote in FMP 15, it shows the launch center with the server name. It says "waiting for response..." and after a couple of seconds there's an error: "connection failed". The server and the client machine are both in LAN and the hosted database is configured to allow network access and it's status on the server is "normal". What might be the problem causing this?

• 9. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                          ch0c0halic

At any time did you approve using the Certificate of the server?

Do you have a Favorite set up for this server?

Have you saved the Password to the file in your Keychain?

Any of these can cause the "New" server to be incorrectly addressed/connected/communicated with.

When putting a known file on a new server be sure to remove any and all references to it from the client. Certificates in FMP, the Keychain, and favorites all effect how FMP will talk to the FMS.

Remove Favorites to any files located not he FMS.

Remove the FMS from the Saved Certificates in FMP.

Open keychain and remove all references to the FMS DNS, IP, and Certificate.

Also remove any saved passwords to any file on the server. If you have used/saved references to the Sample file remove all entries for it.

Now restart the computer. I believe this is mandatory. Removing Keychain entries did not appear to remove them from caches in my testing.

• 10. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                            firebase

Thanx!

So I dissabled the folders:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Backups\*.*

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\*.*

In my Anitvirus Programm and deactivated indexing for the whole C drive.

I run Backups also with excluded

but I backup the files in the

folder.

Is that all I need to do?

• 11. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                              wimdecorte

firebase wrote:

Thanx!

So I dissabled the folders:

In my Firewall

What does that mean?  Why would you disable folders in a firewall?

• 12. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                                wimdecorte

firebase wrote:

I run Backups also with excluded

but I backup the files in the

folder.

Is that all I need to do?

with "I run Backups" you mean external backups, not FMS backups, correct?

If you do then you have to make sure that your external backups do not interfere / overlap with the FMS schedules that produces those FMS backups.

• 13. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                                  firebase

Sorry wrong word I changed that from Firewall to AV.

• 14. Re: Configure Windows Server 2012
                                    firebase

Yes external backups I run them durring night where there is no FM backup schedule.

1 2 Previous Next