9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 11:04 AM by roger_llewellyn@hotmail.com

Find in multiple layouts concurrently

roger_llewellyn@hotmail.com

Can you help.

I have 2 tables Client and Measures

Client is related to measures

Following Guy Stevens excellent video I created 2 layouts

In Client layout have a portal to view and create records in the Measures table,

all works fine.

I can find client by name and get all the created measure records listed in the portal.

BUT… I also want to go to the Measures layout and create a graph of the measures, so need to find all the records of the measure for this particular client.

Can I script a find that searches both layouts automatically using the find criteria (say)” full name” in client layout and without re-entering manually a second search in the measures layout. \I appreciate any help

• 1. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently
          mikebeargie

Yes, look at the "Go To Related Records" script step.

Essentially find for the "full name" client, then use that script to go to the related measures for that client.

If you need to further find on the measures table, the "Constrain Found Set" and "Extend Found Set" can modify the found set of measures items appropriately after you use go to related records.

• 2. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently

Thanks for this mike it directed me to the right solutions but to clarify Iam trying to create 1 script and only enter the find criteria once and have the find action take place on the Client layout and then the Measures layout.

I am trying to create a find using the contents of a field (fullname) entered only once on the client layout? which will then find the related records in the Measures table (layout) .

I am trying to script this using your advice but no success so far I will try to find what I am not doing?

I:

Goto layout Client

Find "fullname"  ...ok

Extend found set ( now it starts to go wrong.) using the Fullnamefrn relationship field

As I want to extend the rest of records in the Measures table?

I will keep trying

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently
              philmodjunk

Do it this way:

Goto layout Client

Find "fullname"

Go to related records

You can also go to a layout based on measures and perform a find that specifies criteria in the related client table to find the needed measures records.

A third option would be to use a portal to Measures on the client layout as a way to view the measures data for a given client without changing layouts.

• 4. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently

HI Phil thanks for this,

I know it sounds a bit slow but how do I “ You can also go to a layout based on measures and perform a find that specifies criteria in the related client table to find the needed measures records” as I want to use the “fullname”  entered on the client layout without re-entering it.? Of course it works if I do a find from the measures layout.

I have used your 3rd option ok but I need to create graphs with the related records data and that does not seem to work in the portal. I do get all the related record data displayed in the portal.

Bottom line what I want to do is display client related measures taken as a table (I have that in the portal) and then display this same data in Graph form in another layout/postal/window.

Thanks Roger

• 5. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently
                  erolst

You can access and use the name that is stored in a Client record from a related Measure table.

e.g. in a script:

Enter Find Mode [ no restore ]

Go to Layout [ Measure ( Measure) ]

Set Field [ Client::name ; "some value" ]

Set Error Capture [ on ]

Perform Find

This will find all Measure records that are related to a Client record where the name field contains "some value".

You can also do this manually (enter Find mode, enter a value, press return / click Perform Find), if you put the related Client field on the Measure layout. (Best to not allow access in Browse mode, so you don't overwrite the name accidentally.)

• 6. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently
                    philmodjunk

You wouldn't use the second option if you are always finding records on the clients layout first. In that case, Mike's original suggestion, Go TO Related records is all that you would need.

Goto layout Client

Find "fullname"

Go to related records

• 7. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently

HI Phil

I am still not getting be able to do a single Find “fullname” in Clients that also finds the multiple records in Measures (so I can graph them) can you see what I am doing wrong..?

The portal Client Metrics tab shows OK but I want to be able to draw a graph of say the Chest metrics on the measures layout ( so that I have enough real estate to show several graphs.)

It would be an early Christmas present !!!

User Admin

No password

• 8. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently
                        philmodjunk

Neither of the scripts in this file follow the advice given. The one that comes closest to being correct adds additional steps that are both unnecessary and in the case of the GTRR part, prevent it from working correctly. You then did not have the GTRR step itself set up correctly.

The corrected script should look like this:

FindGTRRscript.png

Note that in the GTRR step, you specify both a table and a compatible layout for Measure, not clients.

And you can chart data from Measure on Clients if you use the "Related Data" option for its data source. There is one type of chart that cannot be produced in this fashion, but other than that, it's possible to use the client layout if you wish.

• 9. Re: Find in multiple layouts concurrently

Thank you very much for your patience and help I will try this later this evening.