6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2016 8:31 PM by user19752

Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters

dburnham

If you create a new layout folder and paste into its naming dialog a folder name longer than 100 characters, the dialog closes and you get an error dialog telling you the name is longer than 100 characters.

But if you try to then edit it to correct the problem, you get a different dialog telling you the layout is in use.  But it's not.  And it can't be deleted either without seeing the same dialog about it being in use.  Which it isn't.

And you have to quit FileMaker and relaunch to delete the folder because it can't be edited and it can't be deleted until you relaunch.

• 1. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
          TSPigeon

dburnham:

Thank you for your post!

I was unable to reproduce this issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 (Advanced) on Mac OS X or the Windows Operating System. I followed these steps to attempt to reproduce:

1. Created "test.fmp12"

2. File > Manage > Layouts...

3. Create a New Layout Folder and attempt to paste 120 Characters

-I immediately receive "The length of the selected text cannot exceed 100 character(s)."

-Hitting "OK" takes me back to enter a Folder Name, which still displays the text "New Folder"

Are you able to reproduce this issue in a New File? Please let me know if you have further steps to reproduce.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

The 120 Character Value was:

SiTQgPihkWKdaBHTwGnsSLVMSediSENTGlgoOKwQphTFRyCrHDVURvfBBeeFtntjhujA ergQXsEqFbhdCeBeRgcGnkOvFhhYIrgurjZLPzbbLixWhkMgeiB

• 2. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
            TSPigeon

dburnham:

I have still been unable to reproduce this issue, even including the new information. If you could provide a little more information:

-Do you use any Plug-Ins with FileMaker Pro 15?

-Can you reproduce this in a New File (separate from the one you have developed in)?

-Does this issue occur with a New User on your machine?

-Does this issue occur on other Machines?

-Would it be possible for me to get a Clone of your File with exact steps to Reproduce?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
              dburnham

Dear TSPigeon:

Today I encountered the error message described earlier, but I did not encounter it the same way.

I put an object on a layout and user Button Setup.  After creating the first and only button step (go to related record) I then pressed "Convert to Script" and got this message.  You can see that the script name is not nearly 100 characters

error.png

• 4. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
                TSPigeon

dburnham:

Are you able to provide anything from my previous reply?

If you could provide a little more information:

-Do you use any Plug-Ins with FileMaker Pro 15?

-Can you reproduce this in a New File (separate from the one you have developed in)?

-Does this issue occur with a New User on your machine?

-Does this issue occur on other Machines?

-Would it be possible for me to get a Clone of your File with exact steps to Reproduce?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
                  dburnham

Yes, of course.

I do use several plug-ins with FMP-15.  They are:  2Empower's Developer Assistant, Base Elements, SMTP-it Pro, and Theme Studio.

I can reproduce what I have described in every database I have touched since version 12.  The behavior of the portal sizes and the "jiumping" of objects by several pixels has been a complaint of mine since version12 was introduced.  Not only can I reproduce it on any database, it also behaves the same way on my laptop and my iMac, whereby objects seem to move one or more points in different directions when they are "touched" and I do not have snap-to-guides turned on.

I can't say whether it occurs on a New User, because I don't ever do that, but I can say that over the course of several years, I have had the occasion to create a new account for myself, either on the same machine or on a new machine.  I have had hard drive replacements, and restore-from-backup on the same hard drive.  In none of these instances have I ever observed FileMaker to not have these annoying layout behaviors.

It occurs on both my Mac computers:  iMac 27" (mid-2011) and MacBook Pro (2015).  Both are running MacOS Sierra, the current version.

Yes, I will gladly make a clone for you.  Later today.

• 6. Re: Layout Folder names longer than 100 characters
                    user19752

This issue (convert one step button to script) may be better to reported as another one, since it can be easily reproduced (on new file, before any field/relation defined. without plug-in) and occur on completely different situation.

"Go to Related Record" is a key, some other steps like "Go to layout" don't raise the issue. And it may be relied on the table name in the step is <<unknown>>.