3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 9:26 AM by philmodjunk

Scrolling an Edit Box on the iPhone

petersprague

Scrolling an Edit Box on the iPhone

Hi All, I'm pretty new to FMP and a recent convert from Bento. I’ve got a question about how an edit box field scrolls on the iPhone.

I have a bunch of fields that display one item but I have one edit box field that’s for “Notes” and it has a lot of info in there. In needs to scroll.

I go to Edit Layout/ select the box/ go to the inspector/Data/check “show vertical scrollbar” and then check “when scrolling”.

This works on the iPhone but what happens is that when you click into that field to scroll, the iPhone thinks that you’re going to add some text and thus brings up the keyboard. This takes up the lower 1/2 of the screen. It’s not the best.

IMG_2618.jpg

Has anyone figured out how to configure these edit boxes so that when it shows up on the iPhone the scrolling behavior is more efficient?

Many thanks for your help, best, Peter

• 1. Re: Scrolling an Edit Box on the iPhone
          philmodjunk

My solution is not to use an edit box at all for a case where I need to scroll the text, but don't want the user to be able to edit the contents.

I put either a merge field or a normal edit box with browse mode access denied into a popover panel. I size the panel to be very tall, taller than the iPhone screen and tall enough to hold the largest block of text that I might need to read in this one field. When you open the popover on the iPhone, the popover opens and resizes to fit the size of your screen. you can then scroll the popover panel up as needed to read the complete field contents.

You might also consider breaking up the contents of this field into multiple records so that you can use a portal to display the info as the portal can also be scrolled.

• 2. Re: Scrolling an Edit Box on the iPhone
            petersprague

Thanks on this Phil and tried it but unfortunately the keyboard still comes up once you touch that field. Urgghhh!

• 3. Re: Scrolling an Edit Box on the iPhone
              philmodjunk

It will not come up if you block access to the field while it is in Browse mode. This is an option that you set in the inspector. You can also insert the field into the popover as a merge field as this also blocks access to the field.