5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 9:15 AM by philmodjunk

Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)

llaack

In a FM 15 file shared using Filemaker server, on first launch all layouts for a database revert to landscape orientation under page setup. I've tried restricting this using the "Set Allowed Orientations" command but that seems to have no effect. I've tried selecting a different printer and changing the orientation to portrait there. While it does save the new printer as the default for the file, the orientation inexplicably reverts back to landscape on next launch. The layout is designed to fit on a single portrait letter-sized page.

We've wasted a ton of paper in the organization as many users either forget or don't know how to change the orientation before printing. Is there any way to force portrait view for all users as the default?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)
          philmodjunk

Take the file down off the server. Change your options in print set up and then put it back up on the server.

Even better: use a script for printing and use print set up within the script to specify the desired orientation.

MyFMButler and MonkeyBreadSoftware also offer plug ins that give more specific control over the printing process via a script than is possible with native FileMaker so you may want to research plug ins for your solution as well.

• 2. Re: Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)
            llaack

Thanks much - I'll try taking it down and relinking. I have tried setting this in a printing script but other than "Set Allowed Orientations" (which had no effect even if all were turned off except portrait) I didn't see where this could be specified - am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)
              philmodjunk

The print set up dialog that you get in the script is the same that you'd use from the File Menu. It includes options for both paper size and orientation. You should be able to explicitly select either portrait or landscape orientation.

• 4. Re: Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)
                llaack

Wow, how did I miss that?!?

Thanks very much phil - both solutions solved the problem!

• 5. Re: Print Setup keeps reverting to landscape orientation (Windows)
                  philmodjunk

One simple trick that I have used for years on LAN based solutions is to put a print button on the layout that merely enters preview mode and pauses. If this is a layout from which single records are printed rather than found sets, I also have the script isolate the current record as the only record in the found set.

The users are instructed to check the preview to see if it's what they really want (this confirms details such as page size and orientation) before they select Print from the file menu to print to the printer of their choice. This not only allows a simple way to make sure that all of the print setup details are correct, but it allows users to change paper stock or to select from a number of different printers on their network--all without my having to do any special scripting to handle those details.

Nearly all users that I've done this for have responded well as the act of picking "print" from the File menu is a very familiar thing for them to do on nearly any app on either mac or windows systems.