1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 11:04 AM by mark.stuller

How to shut down FMGo

andypieman

A seemingly simple question. I have a complex system running on FMGo 15 on iPads. Occasionally it gets itself into a bit of a tiz and leaves up a system layout list up. As I've locked all the toolbars another is no interaction on these layouts, I need to restart the app.

Closing FMGo the way you'd close any other application does not work. (swipe the app out of the way). On relaunching the app, it simply goes back to the locked layout. This even happens after a reboot of the entire iPad.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to shut down FMGo
          Markus Schneider

You should be able to get back to FileMaker's launch center by adding a button to Your db that quits FileMaker

• 2. Re: How to shut down FMGo
            andypieman

Not on a layout viewed as a list. This isn't normally a layout that users see, it's just one that this time was left up when the system had a fit, as it often does on iPad. The system comprises of many layouts, I shouldn't have to put escape hatches on all layouts just in case.

• 3. Re: How to shut down FMGo
              CarlSchwarz

Debugging or handling the specific 'tiz' that it gets into should be the first port of call.

Otherwise does the OnFirstWindowOpen script trigger get called when you go back into FMGo?  Perhaps you could add a condition there to move to a better layout on open.

• 4. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                andypieman

Completely agree with the debug sentiment, and I'll probably do that anyway. The problem being, this has only happened on one of 8 iPads, and then only occasionally. It's one of those intermittent bugs.

The real problem here is the way FMGo is handling things currently. I have an open script that triggers as you describe to set everything up. The problem with not being able to fully shut the app down is that when it reopens, the window is already there, so "on window first open' scripts do not trigger. There are no 'on app first open' triggers, and if there were, they probably wouldn't work as the application doesn't actually close properly anyway.

• 5. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                  philmodjunk

"Not on a layout viewed as a list."

You can still add such a button to the header. This is possible even in table view if you go into layout set up and specify that the header be visible.

• 6. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                    wimdecorte

andypieman wrote:

This isn't normally a layout that users see, it's just one that this time was left up when the system had a fit, as it often does on iPad.

That statement and this one below don't go together:

andypieman wrote:

I shouldn't have to put escape hatches on all layouts just in case.

It's our task as developers to solve the 'fits'.  And until we do, provide the necessary outs for the user.

What's the alternative?  Hope that the solution does not have 'fits'?  Hope is a bad strategy...

• 7. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                      andypieman

The alternative is that we should be able to correctly restart the application.

iPads are flaky, they do crash, apps on them crash, but whenever this happens with other apps I just 'flick it' out of the way and restart the app. FM does not follow this convention.

• 8. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                        wimdecorte

andypieman wrote:

The alternative is that we should be able to correctly restart the application.

Agreed.  But that is out of our control at this point.  The rest is not.

• 9. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                          CarlSchwarz

You could use an 'on layout load' script trigger to detect when you are on that layout when you shouldn't be.  Perhaps getting the script with the tiz to clear a marker before going to that layout and then set a marker afterwards.  If OnLayoutLoad detects the marker then the script with the tiz didn't exit properly and you could handle it.

In your case I'm not sure if the onlayoutload script trigger will fire but it might be a way out.

• 10. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                            andypieman

Thanks CarlSchwarz philmodjunk I'll have a bit of a play with LayoutLoad, and headers on lists

To be honest, I don't even know what layout it is. This is just feedback from one of dozens of users of this system over the phone from 200 miles away.

From what seems to be being said in this discussion is that there is no way to reboot FMGo, which is what I was really hoping someone would show me how to do, so I need to develop round that. I have to turn all my 'hidden' layouts into "sorry there has been a problem, click the button below to restart" layouts, fine. I don't do this on client, one because it doesn't crap out quite so readily, and two we can always restart the app.

I'm finding the whole iPad experience extremely frustrating, and not just FM (awaits tirade of comments explaining what a bad developer I am)

• 11. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                              skywillmott

If the file is hosted then add a button to exit the layout or close the file to the header, or top navigation part, and set the layout to display those parts when in list view... The button would then become visible and usable to the FileMaker Go user...

Otherwise, whether the file is stored locally or hosted, there is a way out of that circumstance should you find yourself in it, despite all the good suggestions to prevent it happening in the first place..., and that is to use a link such as fmp://yourserver/yourdatabase which makes FileMaker Go open a hosted solution - it doesn't matter which one. This link can simply be typed into Notes, and then with the note saved, tap the link to open it.

Once the hosted file is open, double tap home button and swipe up to 'quit' FileMaker Go, and then switch the iPad or iPhone into Airplane Mode.

With Airplane Mode on, re-open Filemaker Go. It will complain that it can no longer connect to the hosted file you previously had open and will offer a dialog box to 'Close All' files... This closes all files, both hosted and local, thereby getting you out of that stuck layout.... you can then switch Airplane Mode back off and continue...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                                mark.stuller

Not the best solution, but if Go get's 'hung' you can hold the power until the 'slide to power off' appears then hold the Home button until the home screen appears. The next time you open Go there are no databases open.

• 13. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                                  andypieman

Oh skywillmott you may well be on to something and a bit more as well. I'll try the hosted file and airplane mode to see if that works, but in future I could use a file on the iPad that can be invoked from outside FM (such as notes) to close the offending file.

I going to use web snippets in the future to take me directly to an opening file, which can make sure all files get closed before correctly opening the boot up file.

• 14. Re: How to shut down FMGo
                                    andypieman

sorry mark.stuller I've just tried that, and it didn't work. FM isn't hung, it is just on a layout the user can do nothing with. It came back to the same database.

1 2 Previous Next