4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 9:42 AM by wimdecorte

Is Filemaker/Web Direct the answer?

thehalpeen

With the new user structure with Filemaker 15, I'm just wondering is Filemaker the right solution to recommend in the following scenario.

We want people to fill out their details online when they have been offered a position. Currently they fill out a paper form and this is eventually inputted into a Filemaker file on the Desktop.

We would like to have the new staff member fill out their details online via their own PC/laptop/tablet/phone and have the file populated automatically. We realise we now need to host the file in the cloud to do this.

My question is as follows:

Is Filemaker 'Web Direct' suitable for this. Will every person who fills out a form online be counted as a user and therefore will it cost the organisation a monthly fee. These new people will never use Filemaker again in the organisation. They would be 'very occasional users'.

or

Should we just build a simple 'html/php' form that will have the information saved to a MySQL file, which can be imported/saved into Fileamaker at a later date?

Or

Build a form using Filemaker API for PHP - this is probably beyond us at this stage.

Filemaker 'Web Direct' would be my preferred option because itr could be built in-house, but I am just confused as to what Filemaker will charge if we go their route. It's not very clear - see extract from their site:

Each user may connect to FileMaker Server using only one client at a time. FileMaker Pro (for User Connections), FileMaker Go, and FileMaker WebDirect are clients. In the case of FileMaker WebDirect, each web browser tab open and connected to FileMaker Server counts as a separate client.

If one user accesses more than one FileMaker Server using a single client, a user connection is required for each FileMaker Server accessed by that user.

• 1. Re: Is Filemaker/Web Direct the answer?
          User25291

FLT is not designed for occasional use scenario's. It wouldn't constantly use up a connection for every user but officially you'd have to buy one for every new employee.

However you can still buy the old "Concurrent connections" (WebDirect) for FM Server. These are designed for occasional use.

Right now that's fine and would buy some time but FileMaker also have said: "After May 9, 2018, the price for concurrent connections will be 3 times the price of the same number of users under FileMaker Licensing for Teams."

So keep that in mind for long term planning. There might be some other options available by then though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is Filemaker/Web Direct the answer?
            miler24

Every time someone opens a browser tab to your WebDirect solution, it will use a connection, so yes, you need to pay per connection.  In order to use WebDirect, you'll need to estimate your maximum concurrent connections.

For example, we used a WebDirect solution for our configurator page:

http://www.docuwrx.com/pricing/ (Click on Configure)

But used a simple web form for our free solution offering:

http://www.kosmasone.com/download/

The difference is the volume of requests.  We've only had up to 10 users using our configurator at anytime, but we expect the free solution to occasionally spike.

If you're using WebDirect for an internal applicant tracking solution, I would think it would work quite well in that scenario.  However, if you're trying to sell that solution for others to use, I wouldn't use WebDirect.

• 3. Re: Is Filemaker/Web Direct the answer?
              amysink

Why isn't WebDirect priced like Instant Web Publishing? FileMaker 12 Server Advanced was $3,000 and included 50 Instant Web Publishing connections.

• 4. Re: Is Filemaker/Web Direct the answer?
                wimdecorte

You can still buy the old style license; it is named "legacy" on the FMI store.  You don't have to go with the new FileMaker Licensing for Teams...