8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 11:27 AM by philmodjunk

Selecting the right value list

pim

I have a layout to calculate drug dose volumes. Within this layout, I have set up a number of fields that are based on a conditional value list. For instance, Drug A has a drop down list of options to choose from. For each drug selection there is a second field with another array of drugs to choose from to pair up with Drug A. What I want to also incorporate is a field that includes the list of drug strengths for each selected drug. To achieve this, I have set up a value list for each drug that contains the various strengths of formulation available (for example; morphine comes in a number of strengths and any one may be selected for this particular calculation). The difficulty is how to choose the right value list. for example the 1st field might contain a number of drug options to select from but ACP is chosen. I then need to show under a field called drug strength the appropriate value list for ACP. This same query then exists for the second drug field selected to pair with ACP.

I have considered using an If calculation and linking ValueListItem into this. e.g. If "ACP"; ValueListItem (placing in the details required which is name of application & I presume name of value list required). So far I have had no success in bringing up the right options.

Any thoughts on how this can be achieved?

• 1. Re: Selecting the right value list
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you started in the right direction, conditional value lists and then veered off the trail by creating separate value lists where you could add yet another conditional value list where a single table lists all of the drug strengths but your conditional value list filters that to just those needed for the currently selected drug.

I call this a series of Hierarchical Conditional Value lists--where each selection filters the list that appears in the next list.

For several working examples of such, see

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists

This file comes with detailed documentation for each working example.

• 2. Re: Selecting the right value list
            pim

I am still struggling with this issue. In part, I am dealing with medications that fall into more than one category (PA, Opioids etc). I set up a layout to enter the various combinations for each species. I couldn't place in the drug strength in this layout because it would overly complicate things (some drugs have more than one strength to choose from). I set up a second layout to enter drug + various strengths for that medication (in the hope of including this into the conditional value list selection). The problem I ran into was as soon as I entered a medication into one layout, it was included into the second layout (see below). The bottom layout is the end product (not yet completed). Besides each medication is its strength that should be able to be selected which will be incorporated into a calculation on how much medication to administer. I also want to include into this layout calculations for anaesthetic & pain management medications.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 7.26.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-20 at 7.28.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-20 at 7.28.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-20 at 7.34.20 AM.png

• 3. Re: Selecting the right value list
              philmodjunk

"The problem I ran into was as soon as I entered a medication into one layout, it was included into the second layout"

If both layouts are based on the same table occurrence, this is normal and expected behavior. Within a given window, all layouts that specify the same table occurrence in Show Records From in Layout Setup will share the same found set, current record and sort order.

• 4. Re: Selecting the right value list
                pim

What I am trying to do with this setup is as follows:

I want to calculate drug dose volumes which are dependant on

1. Species

2. Drug strength

3. recommended dose range (min to max dose range).

I want to undertake a series of calculations all on the same layout. This may look something like this:

Pre-anaesthetic:

ACP + Temgesic +/- anticholinergic such as Atropine

+

General Anaesthetic:

Repose

+

Pain management medication:

Temgesic (drugs such as this can be incorporated into the pre anaesthetic category as well as opioids).

So the intension was to base the conditional value list around Species 1st, PA (pre anaesthetic) selection 2nd then Opioid 3rd. Each of these drug selections will have one or more medication strengths to chose from. Depending on species chosen, the min / max dose range will also vary. So there are a lot of potential options in terms of drug selection based on species selected. The drug dose rate range will also vary according to species selected. On top of this, some drugs have more than one strength that can be chosen.

• 5. Re: Selecting the right value list
                  philmodjunk

Yes but what I can't yet figure out is exactly how you have set this up and what conditional value lists have to do with your different layouts showing the same records--which might simply be a case of layouts sharing the same table occurrence context.

Conditional value lists are used to insert data into fields. That might then be used to update a record or to find records in a table depending on what you choose to set up.

So do the value lists themselves show the correct values for you?

Once you have selected values in each field with one of these value lists, what do you need to have happen? And how have you attempted to make that outcome happen?

• 6. Re: Selecting the right value list
                    David Moyer

Hi,

after quickly scanning this thread, I just want to offer my example of a conditional value list set, as a perspective.

• 7. Re: Selecting the right value list
                      pim

The use of conditional value list offered an opportunity to select one value based on another. I then set up a layout to put in those values. The Meds Data layout lists species, PA, Opioids & anticholinergics values as they apply to each species. This data is based on 'Medications values'. The layout below this above is based on 'Medication Details' and used data from 'medication values' to populate the fields based on conditional relationships.

The layout PA Drug Strength is also based on 'Medication values' and was set up to list all medications strengths for each medication. I couldn't do this under the Meds Data layout because it would make things too complicated. Unfortunately this is where I have come unstuck because date is based on the same table & what I put in one also shows up in the other.

I am not sure if this whole approach is the correct way to go about what I want to achieve? I basically wanted a more straight forward way of allowing end users to make multiple selections / calculations at one time on the one layout. The difficulty is the number of variables that come into the process based on species and drug options. If you are interested, my first version of this application can be seen under www.anaestheticpro.com. As a relative Filemaker novice, I ended up using a table occurrence for each medication which resulted in 100s of layouts. I am trying to avoid this with mach 2.

• 8. Re: Selecting the right value list
                        philmodjunk

It appears that your value lists are working in the sense that you can get the desired lists of values in them and can select values from the lists. Thus, this appears not to be a conditional value list problem, but rather a problem with your data model. Even if you did not use conditional value lists at all, you'd still have the same issues here.

Abstracting the relevant details:

Meds Data layout lists species, PA, Opioids & anticholinergics values as they apply to each species. This data is based on 'Medications values'.

The layout below this above is based on 'Medication Details'

The layout PA Drug Strength is also based on 'Medication values' and was set up to list all medications strengths for each medication. I couldn't do this under the Meds Data layout because it would make things too complicated. Unfortunately this is where I have come unstuck because date is based on the same table & what I put in one also shows up in the other.

The first issue that I see is that your medication details and medication values are not linked to each other, but to a patient. It would make more sense to me, to link the two tables to each other by a Medication ID value. From the description above where you indicate that you want to list "all medication strengths for each medication", it would appear that you need these relationships: Patient----<Medication Details----<Medication Values  This assumes that you need one "medication detail" record with one or more "medication value" record linked to it--with one medication value record for each different medication strength. (I am assuming that this is all in the context of a single patient--thus all the different strengths prescribed for a given medication for a given patient would appear to be what you are attempting to record here.)

But it depends on what you are actually attmepting to record in terms of "PA Drug Strength" so my analysis could be way off the mark here.