5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 2:06 PM by LoriE

Creating a Document Report Log

LoriE

I am not sure where to start with this and can not find anything close to what i want to do. Maybe i am not using the correct search words.

I have a layout that is in report form (maybe this needs to change) with a title header for the project number and name and the meeting of the minutes number. I have it the way i want it so then i go to preview mode and can save it to out shared network drive in the appropriate project folder.

Question:  Is there a way to create a log of each monthly meeting (say in a portal?) that would go back to each of these documents?

I can't rap my head around how this would look or work.

I only have the one layout so every time i create a new meeting or have a meeting with a different project the preview will also change.

Not sure if i am articulating this correctly.

Thanks,

Lori

• 1. Re: Creating a Document Report Log
          erolst

LoriE wrote:

I only have the one layout so every time i create a new meeting or have a meeting with a different project the preview will also change.

Maybe I'm not understanding right, but that's sort of the idea behind a form / layout: the same appearance for different data.

LoriE wrote:

I have a layout that is in report form (maybe this needs to change) with a title header for the project number and name and the meeting of the minutes number. I have it the way i want it so then i go to preview mode and can save it to out shared network drive in the appropriate project folder.

Well, what is "it"?

If you want to keep minutes of project meetings, create a Meetings table that you relate to the Projects table. Whenever there is a meeting, create a new record. This gives you a log of all meetings pertaining to a project, or - if you go to the Meetings table - of all meetings for all projects; a real log that you can search, sort etc.

If this all doesn't make sense, maybe try to explain in non-database terms what you're trying to achieve.

• 2. Re: Creating a Document Report Log
            LoriE

I have a meetings log for meeting 1, 2, 3 etc. Then i have a layout that looks like a letter (Minutes of the Meeting)

From the meetings log i find the project number and it displays all the meetings then i press a button and the script goes thru all the minutes associated with all the meetings in the found set and picks out only the incomplete (status) and the New (business) sorts, into sub summary by "Business"   and "item" number and enters preview mode. So it spans all the meetings

• 3. Re: Creating a Document Report Log
              LoriE

I want to recall that particular Meeting of the Minutes document from within filemaker pro.

• 4. Re: Creating a Document Report Log
                erolst

Well, in that case you could store the PDF within FileMaker; maybe create a new table related to project, and store it in a container field, aling with metadata like date of storing etc.

That's what you mean?

• 5. Re: Creating a Document Report Log
                  LoriE

Yes i thought that might work. thank you. I now have direction......