1 2 3 Previous Next 85 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 10:11 PM by JackRodges

Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)

osensnolf

I've had an operation running for the past 17 hours and no idea when it will finish.  When I look at the resources, it is consuming 13% of my CPU and only 2GB of 16GB.

What can I do to make FileMaker consume more resources so that it is faster?

I'm using the 64-bit version on Windows 7 x64.

SSD Hard Drive

FileMaker would really hum if it would operate at full speed.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
          Vincent_L

First, let's make sure you look at the filemaker process cpu usage, not the overall machine CPU usage.

Second, do you use standalone solution ? (only your FMP client running it, not from an host)

If standalone, it shouldn't be possible to get only 13% on the filemaker process, because you have an SSD.

So in that case those 13% must be the overall CPU usage of the machine.

if you run the solution from an host, then it's a networking issue (use LAN ethernet cable, not wifi).

You could speed-up by a factor of 2, if you run the client en same machine as the server and if you access it using the 127.0.0.1 IP address.

Of course, if you run an hosted solution, maybe there's other things occurring on the server that hinder it. Like other clients locking tables.

• 2. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
            osensnolf

Hi Vincent.

FileMaker is hosted on my local computer.  Nothing else is even using 1% of my CPU.

Below are the states for FileMaker Pro.exe from Taskmgr.

FileMaker Pro.exeCPU: 08   Memory: 247,420
            • 3. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
              coherentkris

i would look at optimizing the process first instead of blaming filemaker.

Must be a complex process operating on a very large dataset to take 17 + hours

• 4. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                Vincent_L

I'm a mac guy, so I don't know what's the task manager number is : relative to overall cpu usage, or absolute CPU usage of the process.

I once had very few CPU usage while importing many small files rapidly. But it's particular.

small cpu usage is due to i/o constrains, or waiting for another external process (which is a kind of I/o)

What does your script do ? imports ? from files, sql ?

• 5. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                  osensnolf

The script looks at a list of 5000 keywords (all wildcards) and scans it against several fields within my 4.7 million records.  If there is a match, the matched word is added to a text field within the record.

Keywords

*auto*  =>  mikesautobody.com

*cpa*  =>   findacpa.com

*dock*  =>  terrysboatdock.com

The script looks in multiple fields - URL is just an example.

• 6. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                    wimdecorte

Let's say that 'several fields' is at least 3, so that's 3 * 5,000 * 4,700,000 = 70,500,000,000 find queries without the write operations.  Seventy billion, five hundred million.

At 0.1 second per request that's 224 years.  At 1 second per request that would be 2,200+ years.

You need a different computing platform that can do things in parallel.

2 of 3 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                      osensnolf

Yeah, that's going to be a problem... I'm pretty sure my data will not be valid in 2200 years.

I'm not a developer so I would need to ask, but is it someone easy to create a script that does things in parallel or is that a big overhaul?

• 8. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                        siplus

From under my rock, I do understand OP's original pain. I.e. launching a complex script on a SSD machine and seeing a very low CPU activity coupled to a low or moderate IO to the data container (HD).

I would expect everything to light up like a Christmas tree, hear the fans go mad, things like that.

Instead, I saw quite often the same situation happen, the situation reported by OP in his initial post, and I wonder if Filemaker's partnership with the cached data is the missing figure in the picture.

In a nutshell, the feedback we get from monitoring hardware resources is not consistent with the workload we threw at the machine via Filemaker.

Go figure.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                          Vincent_L

Wim has a point, but what's interest me and what's not normal is the low CPU usage. That should be explained, a computing process runs at 100% unless constrained by I/Os.

@osensnolf : when you say hosted on your computer, do you mean you've intalled the server on it, or no server at all just the FMPa cleint running it's file ?

on optimizing your process.

Rather than accessing several fields millions times I'd export all your reccords with all the fields + RecordID you need to search into in a text file, and run command line tool such as sed / or grep 5000 times, then I'd capture the row numbers of the matching rows.

after that I'd have a table with

keyword 1 matches line 12,456,890,7890,3423

keyword 2 matches line 12,656,1890,990

then I'd get the record Ids of the matching rows

and , if I'd need to know the matching filed of keywords, then I'd, in filemaker go straight to the recordid of the matchings rows and research the fields that matches the keywords

So you'd be filemakering only against matching records

but you could also do that part in command line if you separate each records with a separator sur as tab.

That's only one option

you could do it also with javascript.

thought it will be much slower, because filemaker is not good at this,

you can also do an excecute sql to put all you record content in a variable, and then iterate on this variable

• 10. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                            osensnolf

The file is on my computer which runs FileMaker Pro (latest version).

Wow… I just stopped it and it made it through 600 records.  That’s not going to work. 

• 11. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                              Vincent_L

would it be possible to get your file ?

• 12. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                                wimdecorte

Agreed with Vincent, a different approach is needed.  Things like VBscript / PowerShell on Windows are much faster in processing through text.  May not be fast enough depending on how fast you need it to be.

The trick is going to be in limiting the number of operations.

• 13. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                                  Vincent_L

@osensnolf

of course it won't solve your case, but maybe that would explain low cpu usage : are you using the freeze window, blank form layout that every filemakerians have to use for any script to get less than glacial speed ?

• 14. Re: Make FileMaker Use More Resources (Speed Improvement)
                                    osensnolf

I wish I could answer your question but I'm not sure I know the answer.  All of the pages and forms I used have been customized by my developer.

1 2 3 Previous Next