1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 9:41 AM by OCDilla

Export field content solution

LarsHed

I have started to use FM Web Direct in a way that's new to us (and promising): As a replacement for our old-fashioned FTP-server I've created a log in to a certain page in a FMdatabase where I store high resolution photos, film clips etc - quite heavy files(up to 2 GB)  that the logged in user can download. The container field itself is a button with a script telling the user it might take some time to download the file and then  uses the "Export field content" step.

A few questions:

1. Downloading field content requires quite many clicks in the dialogue on WebDirect - up to 3 steps of confirmation and it's not 100% clear for users that they should click on the button in the box with the file name before it downloads. (see screenshots). Is it possible to create a more elegant way (especially in Windows 7 which also adds another dialogue box in the lower part of screen) ? I prefer to show only my own dialogue box. 

2. How big files can be stored in a field without slowing down the web too m much ?  - only the hard drive sets the limit for the database  I think I read. Is that the same for WebDirect?

3. It would be great to show a simple progress bar for downloading instead of the three standard dialogues . But that seems to require third party software?

• 1. Re: Export field content solution
          OCDilla

1. You can clear up the confusion easily by making your download button the action color (blue like the close button). Add a download icon to it if you have a newer version of Filemaker. This should clear up some of the confusion

2. Large files will always take time. I would look at compressing the files first.

3. Progress bars are out there. I wonder if there is a way to leverage the inline progress bar.

You might want to look at the demo files from this talk:
          DES005 - User Experience vs. Usability - Jordan Watson

It has a lot of things that don't perfectly match what you need but could apply.

2 of 2 people found this helpful