10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 9:26 AM by TSGal

Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode

dburnham

Every time I make an adjustment to something about the portal setup, such as changing the specs for the portal filter, the portal becomes 1 or more points shorter.  I have to then use the inspector to increase its height by as many points as it changed.  Which means I have to memorize the height before making the change if the positioning is critical.

Guides are not set to snap to anything, in fact guides are turned off.

If I increase the number of rows, I expect to see the height change, by adding one row equal to the height of the others, or vice versa.  But I see no reason why the size of the portal should become 1 or more points smaller just because I redefine the portal filter.

• 1. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 and FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 under macOS Sierra 10.12.1, Mac OS X 10.10.5, and Windows 7.  This is what I did:

1. I created a database file with two tables, linked by a Number field "ID".

2. I created multiple records in the related file with the same ID (1).

3. I added a Portal to the main table layout displaying data from the secondary table.

4. I added a record in the main table to confirm the portal records displayed.

5. In Layout Mode, I displayed the Inspector, clicked on the Portal object and noticed the height 132 pt.

6. I modified the Portal Setup to add a portal filter.  The height remained at 132 pt.

7. I changed the Portal filter, sort, scrolling, etc., and the height remained at 132 pt.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?

What operating system (and version) are you using?

What Theme are you using?

Does this issue occur with all files or just a specific file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
            dburnham

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220

My operating system is MacOS Sierra 10.12.1

The theme I am using in all the relevant layouts is Enlightened Touch.

For the 2 database files I have attached for you (one is a clone, one has data) I have removed encryption and enabled the standard Admin full user account.

You will see that there are approximately 90 layouts in this file, and the previously reported issue about the limit of 50 folders will be obvious if you attempt to navigate in Browse Mode compared to layout mode or using  Manage Layouts.

The reported issue about portal sizes can be observed on just about any of the layouts beginning with the ones named with numerical prefixes.

The reported issues about objects moving ("jumping") several pixels up, down, left, or right can be seen throughout the database, however I confess that I have forgotten what precise action makes this happen.  I have become so accustomed to it for several years that I will have to be alert to it so that I can follow up with you again about this when I next observe it.

A colleague just suggested to me that the Magic Mouse could be responsible for certain unexpected movement, because of the sensitivity of the glass surface to finger movement.  However, in respect to the issue about portal sizes changing, I can assure you that the size change occurs whether or not the mouse is used.  That is to say, if I dismiss the portal Setup dialog by using the enter key on the keyboard, I get the same result.

FYI, throughout this database example, you will find the same relationship used for hundreds of portals, each one targeted to the relationship "Rating items".  The portal filter is used on each and every portal to control the records that should be displayed according to a unique number in the related records.

• 3. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
              dburnham

I made a screen recording to show you the portal behavior problem.  While narrating it I was interrupted by a ringing telephone but when I went to trim the movie size, I found that I didn't have the microphone turned on anyway.  So here is a narrative explanation of what the video shows.

In the beginning of the video you will see that I am showing you which layout I was on, so that you could find the same layout easily..

Using the Portal setup, I changed the portal filter and then dismissed the dialog with the OK button by pressing ENTER on the keyboard, not clicking with the magic mouse.  You will see the portal size become smaller.  I did it a second time to show you that it gets progressively smaller with each change.

Because there are two portals side by side, I was able to use the inspector to revert to the original size. You can't see that in the video, but it is the last action done before I needed the recording.

• 4. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for the file and information.

I am able to reproduce the issue.

The first thing I noticed is that you are using a custom theme "Enlightened Touch"; not the built-in one.  Regardless, this doesn't appear to be the issue.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                  dburnham

I modified the theme but did not change its name.  I suppose there is a benefit to doing that, but I have not yet thought of one.   Maybe someday ...

I appreciate your feedback.  thanks!

• 6. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                    TSGal

dburnham:

Testing is able to reproduce the issue with FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                      dburnham

I'll consider that my birthday present from FileMaker. 

• 8. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                        TSGal

dburnham:

Updated notes from Testing mention this issue occurs if the portal is formatted to use a line width of 0.25 pt and if only the bottom or top borders are enabled.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                          dburnham

Does that mean that is this expected behavior and I need to be aware of it in all my layout work, or that they see this as a flaw worth fixing?

• 10. Re: Annoying portal behavior (size changes by itself) in layout mode
                            TSGal

dburnham:

Definitely not expected behavior.

Now that this issue is discovered and reported, it is sent to Development for review where it will be categorized and prioritized.

Until the issue is addressed, just be aware of portals with line widths of 0.25 pt and only having bottom or top borders enabled.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.