14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 10:39 PM by dallaskruse

Portal won't display text input field

dallaskruse

I'm a second day user of FileMaker. I took a Lynda.com course and I'm learning FileMaker. So, forgive my ignorance.

I'm a band manager.

I'm booking Events with clients.  I'm trying to add the musicians and tech that will be on the specific gig. 

I have an Event Info page. Inside a portal I've created a tab called "Musicians" and I'd like to add the people I'm hiring for that gig.

I've added a text field borrowing from my Band/Tech Table/Field.

I have made sure that there is no "Hide Objects" created in the Inspector for said field.

I can't seem to figure this out. Which leads me to believe my Relationships are setup wrong.

When I click on Browse ... the text field disappears.

I'm attaching a screen shot of my relationships section if thats of ANY help.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• 1. Re: Portal won't display text input field
          keywords

Re: "When I click on Browse ... the text field disappears."

One possible reason for this behaviour is that the relationship is not set to allow creation of records. When this option is selected a portal will include a blank row. If it is not selected and there are no related records the portal will be empty.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 1.35.28 PM.png

• 2. Re: Portal won't display text input field
            dallaskruse

The problem is, is that I have created records for the fields I'm trying to create. So, in my Filemaker, I have already created records for individual musicians located within the proper Fields.

As for "creating new records" ... I'm not looking to create NEW records. I'm looking to be able to ADD musicians already in my system to the Event I'm creating.

I hope this makes sense.

• 3. Re: Portal won't display text input field
              philmodjunk

Your basic relationships with event set up as a typical join table between client and band tech.

What's not clear is what you mean when you say you "borrowed " a text field.

The typical way to set this up is to enable "creation" for event in the client to event relationship and set up  Band ID Match Field with a value list for selecting a band tech.

Note that with this design, you will have multiple records for the same event if you need more than one tech for an event.

• 4. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                dallaskruse

Duplicating entries in my Band/Tech rosters is what I was trying to avoid.

All of this is a bit overwhelming.

What I'm attempting to do is...

Create Events with all relevant detail for each event (gig)...including gig address, date, time, load in, etc etc, Musicians Booked, Tech booked.

I have imported all my Tech/Musicians names and contact info into my Filemaker and was hoping to be able to just add them from a dropdown list or quickly type them into the Event.

I was hoping to pull their names from my already entered data and place them into the EVENT DETAILS.

I have opened up a Starter Solution and am trying to just modify that to work for my needs. But since I'm 48hrs into FileMaker ... I'm still light years behind on how this program works.

• 5. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                  keywords

Dallas, perhaps the attached demo file will help you get your head around the issues. Note the following:

1.    The file contains your three main tables: Clients, Events, Techs, together with a join table (see below)

2.    If there is only ever one Client for an Event, this is a one-to-many situation, so you can directly link those two tables, as shown

3.    If there may be more than one Tech associated with an Event, and your Techs may be engaged for more than one Event, this is a many-to-many situation, so you need an intermediate Join table to connect Techs to Events. (The join table breaks the many-to-many relationship down into two one-to-manys.)

4.    The relationships to the Join table enable creation of the Join record, so that you can create the related Join record simply by entering data in the portal, as shown.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                    dallaskruse

Thanks so much.

My brain is fried and i'm burnt for the day. I'm gonna take a better look at your setup tomorrow.

From what you're telling me in your text, I believe i understand it.  I got a semi-good grasp of the One-To-Many relationships when i took the Lynda.com course.

My issue is that I"m having a hard time understanding is when Table A is connected to Table B. Table B is connected to Table C. Is Table A connect to Table C VIA Table B?

I feel as though my Relationships are setup correctly bc I used a Starter Solution template but I just can't get some fields to format correctly.

At any rate, thank you all so much for the help.

If anyone is looking for some tutoring work via Skype, i'd be happy to purchase some tutoring time from an expert to help me understand this.

I'll be back on tomorrow.

Thank you again!

• 7. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                      BruceRobertson

In agreement with keywords, I think your table setup is incomplete.

Attached is a slight mod to the graph in his example file; plus a modified version of his file.

I suspect you will want to specify the particular tasks or skills the performer/tech will be using in THIS event; as well as perhaps listing their default skills.

event_graph_mod.png

event_form.png

• 8. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                        dallaskruse

You guys are all so great at this and VERY helpful.

I know its a bummer telling someone who has NO clue what they're doing that they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm not a TOTAL idiot so I'm gonna try and take these examples and figure this out

• 9. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                          dallaskruse

As i stated previously, i grabbed a starter solution and am trying to modify it.

For whatever reason, when i switch to BROWSE mode, in neither my dropdown list nor the entry field am I able to see my BandTech names.

I have triple checked to be sure my settings were the same as the demo's you two posted.

here's some screenshots if they're of any help.

I'm also looking online for some Skype tutorials/lessons/help.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.34.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.34.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.35.08 AM.png

• 10. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                            keywords

If you are willing to, why don't you attach a copy of your file—even with a handful of dummy records. That will make it easier to assist. You use the Advanced Editor to add an attachment.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 7.57.04 AM.png

• 11. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                              dallaskruse

Great idea.

I made a COPY of the file (DnD Test).

• 12. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                                BruceRobertson

Here is a mod to your copy.

Still mucho unfinished stuff, but with a reorganized graph and some added features that may give you some ideas.

event graph.png

• 13. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                                  dallaskruse

Bruce,

thank you so much!

I'll download now and open her up!

• 14. Re: Portal won't display text input field
                                    dallaskruse

In order to keep myself from posting SO much stuff on this forum ... if anyone is interested in helping me out either via Skype or screeenshare ... I'll gladly pay for your time.

Feel free to leave an email or I guess message me here?