8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 12:08 PM by Flyfisher2611

relationship / conditional value list confusion!

Flyfisher2611

A little knowledge is dangerous! - my conclusion after today's efforts!

After considerable, effort and help, I had successfully created a portal in my 'label bin' Layout with an ID field to link tables. Due to the number of records to choose from, I opted for a conditional value list (as used in another layout), again after some effort, I got it to work! However now my original conditional value list in the other layout has ceased to function - I am slowly loosing the will to live!

I would appreciate your help, please!

Below is the Relationship Graph, I have also attached the file for your inspection.

Screenshot 2016-12-10 16.40.06.png

Many thanks

Alan

• 1. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
          philmodjunk

Don't have time to look at your file at this moment, but the fact that it works on one layout and not another suggests that the two layouts are based on two different Table occurrences and thus the relationship that's a basis for the conditional value list works from the context of one layout and not the other.

If you open up the value list set up, there's a "starting from" table occurrence specified. Compare that name to the name of the table occurrence specified in "Show Values From" for the layout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
            Malcolm

Flyfisher2611 wrote:

However now my original conditional value list in the other layout has ceased to function

Which is the other layout? Which is the original value list? Could it be the one that was based on the deleted table?

missing_table.png

• 3. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
              Flyfisher2611

Hi Malcolm

With phils help I have managed to get the conditional dropdown working again, I think, during the process of getting the list in the 'Label Bin' layout working, I've managed to change some relationships!

Now Ive got the value lists sorted I have some other issues!

I have lost the ability to see the Allocated bins in the "plant scheduler' layout (in a portal!) or in the Plant detail layout!

I can no longer use the 'Go to related records' button that was working before!

i seem to get in a tizwaz with understanding relationships.

can I ask, when I make a second or third occurrence of a table in the graph, how are these related to the original table?  I am assuming that it is like accessing the same table, but through another door! Is this correct?

thank you for your response

kind regards

alan

• 4. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
                Flyfisher2611

Sorry, I don't have direct access to my file at the moment, I will look at the tables next in the morning!

• 5. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
                  Malcolm

If you change the relationships in the graph your portals will suffer. Its a thing.

Here's a screen shot of the relationship graph in your file before you began messing around with it. I've re-arranged things for the sake of clarity. I wonder if you find it easier to understand when the TOs are arranged in this fashion?

Direct Link.png

The portal  "Label Bins Line Item" is TO # 3 and it's sitting on a layout based on "Plant Scheduler Beta" (TO # 1). If it isn't showing any records this means that, for the record displayed, the field "Variety" in TO # 1 does not match any records in TO#2 or does not match any records in TO#3.

However, you have changed things, so this graph arrangement may not exist anymore.

In this arrangement, I wonder why you are connecting TO#1 to TO #3 via TO#2 when it is possible to connect TO#1 and TO#2 directly. You may have very good reasons for using this setup.

• 6. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
                    Flyfisher2611

Hi Malcolm

Wow! Yes, I have found it so much easier to understand! I have reorganized my graph to replicate yours and, with one small amendment I had made, everything seems to be working again. Your layout shows the relationships so much clearer! A good lesson in house keeping I think!

As for the extra table, I think I did it so I could separate, in my mind, what was going on, but I suspect it actually made things worse!

Just one last cheeky question!

Is it normal that when I delete the final portal row in the Label bin layout, that it deletes the whole record, ie it deletes the Bin! Obviously, in reality, I still have the label bin on the wall, so would prefer to rule out the possibility of the whole bin being removed from the database to save confusion!

Once again, thank you so much for your time and help, a database can be a very daunting place for us newbies, and without the help of you guys I wouldn't have got as far as I have, so Thank You!

Kind Regards

Alan

• 7. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
                      Malcolm

Is it normal that when I delete the final portal row in the Label bin layout, that it deletes the whole record, ie it deletes the Bin! Obviously, in reality, I still have the label bin on the wall, so would prefer to rule out the possibility of the whole bin being removed from the database to save confusion!

When you base both table occurrences on the same base table, yes, it is what we expect to happen.

Table_TOs.png

You can see that both the table occurrences are based on your weirdly named table. Whenever you create objects, give them a name which clearly expresses its role. It makes it easier to work with them. This table should be either Label Bins or Label Bins Line Item. You will need to create a new table to be the bins or the line items.

• 8. Re: relationship / conditional value list confusion!
                        Flyfisher2611

Hi Malcolm

Sorted! I have replaced the 'label portal table' with an new one (not with the same source table as the label bin layout, and all is right with the world......for now at least!

Thank you once again for your help and best wishes for the festive season!

kind regards

Alan