8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 10:28 AM by JammieSchmunk

Sharing a database

JammieSchmunk

I have a trivia question... I am a novice user who has built a solution for our small business. Now that it's coming into the final stages I would like to have it hosted somewhere so our other employee can test it out in the field. I have FM 15 and if I understand correctly, that would require us to purchase a license. There are 2 of us at this point, is there not another option?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 1. Re: Sharing a database
          wimdecorte

At a minimum you'll need another license of FMP15 for the 2nd user.  You can then use your copy of FMP as the host under what is called 'peer-to-peer' hosting.

But that is not ideal.  To make it work you will need to:

- keep the file itself on your computer, don't copy it to a network place (certainly don't use something like dropbox to share the file)

- you will have to have the file open in your copy of FMP to act as the host

- the 2nd user MUST use 'open remote' to locate your copy.  The 2nd user should under NO circumstances be able to find and open the file any other way.  if they can then OS-level file sharing is active on the file's location and there is no faster way to corrupt the file.

You could consider FM Cloud or another 3rd party cloud host company.

• 2. Re: Sharing a database
            JammieSchmunk

Thank you. We have used 'peer-to-peer' but the other employee will now be out in the field using the solution meaning we will not be on the same network.

The FM Cloud or other 3rd party is for FM 14 or older unless we want to buy license for 0-5 users which is very expensive for a small business like ours. I was hoping there was something else available that is more economically feasible.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Sharing a database
              wimdecorte

You can still use peer-to-peer if the other guy is in the field by configuring port forwarding on your router; but it will take a bit more setup, including setting up your machine with a static internal IP address and using a dynamic DNS for your external IP address (the one that  your ISP assigns you).

If you can find a decent network guy in your area he can help you with that.  All that is needed is port 5003 opened and forwarded.

• 4. Re: Sharing a database
                JammieSchmunk

Thank you. If there's no other option available I'll have to do that.

• 5. Re: Sharing a database
                  philmodjunk

The other option is to set up a "synch" method where your second user has a copy of the file and you merge/update data when your coworker returns to the office.

This is can be very tricky unless you use a third party tool designed for that purpose.

• 6. Re: Sharing a database
                    taylorsharpe

Wim properly pointed out that peer-to-peer works with caveats, it's just the caveats are significant and I rarely find worthwhile and often result in problems down the road.  You are correct that hosting costs more in 15 because the licensing doesn't allow FileMaker server to be shared among multiple companies.  Peer-to-Peer can be done, but I don't recommend it and you'll probably save yourself grief down the road getting server.  Security, backups, and stability are of significant value and made much better with server.  Even hosting on FMS 14 is better than Peer-to-Peer. 

• 7. Re: Sharing a database
                      wimdecorte

Taylor Sharpe wrote:

Wim properly pointed out that peer-to-peer works with caveats, it's just the caveats are significant and I rarely find worthwhile and often result in problems down the road. 

Completely agree.

• 8. Re: Sharing a database
                        JammieSchmunk

Thank you guys. After much contemplation and your suggestions we are going to host it on FM 14 for economical reasons and just for the time being. That being said are there any major issue I should watch out for going from Fm 15 back down to FM 14?