4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2016 5:06 AM by wimdecorte

Filemaker - Multiple users

goutam

I have installed Filemaker 15 in my PC. It is accessible to my user login only, how do I make all user accounts to access it?

• 1. Re: Filemaker - Multiple users
          akaufhold

I think this is an issue with your active directory settings (Windows). You can set Security groups to log in (FM) based on whether they have authorization or not. Hint: Make the active directory group names the same as the security group names in FileMaker in order to have consistency. Trust me, it helps a lot with organization.

• 2. Re: Filemaker - Multiple users
            TKnTexas

The number of users that cannot connect are limited since you are using desktop version vs server.  You should have the files in a folder on your computer that is NOT networked via the OS. 

Go to FILE -> SHARING -> SHARE WITH FILEMAKER CLIENTS. 

The dialog box is self-explanatory I think.   You have to open the files first each day.  They will use
            FILE->OPEN REMOTE.  In the left-hand window pane they should see your machine.  They select it and then they will see the files that are accessible. 

I scripted this in a Opener file.  Only a script that opens the remote files, then closes itself.  Most application uses are not use to using something like REMOTE OPEN.  It will eliminate the error of them trying to open with the regular OPEN.  

There are two of us who work accounts payable.  I host and my co-worker uses them remotely.  Works well. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker - Multiple users
              TKnTexas

One thing I forgot to mention.  When I first did this, my co-workers could not see my hosted file.  It turns out that McAfee had a firewall up.  Since I am behind the network's firewall I felt it safe to turn my firewall off.  And the other machines can see my hosted files.

• 4. Re: Filemaker - Multiple users
                wimdecorte

goutam wrote:

I have installed Filemaker 15 in my PC. It is accessible to my user login only, how do I make all user accounts to access it?

You have received two different types of answers: one on how to make the application available to other accounts on the same machine and one on how to make a FM database available to other users.

Which of two are you after?  Is the application that  you want have available if someone else logs into your machine?