AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filter records using three fields WITHOUT a portal

Question asked by sansae on Dec 14, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 by sansae

Hi,

It seems most of the posts regarding filters deal with portals. I'm not using a portal in my layout.

My goal is to filter my zipcode records based on 1) a date range and 2) a service type.

What I currently have is a layout with 3 fields: date_begin, date_end, service_type.

My service_type field is currently a drop-down list that contains various values/services.

What's working is the filter by date range. I'm not sure how it works. It just does. I've used data viewer to track my variable $listZips by changing the date ranges, and the values returned are exactly as expected.

What's not working is the filter by service type. What I want is, after filtering by date, I would like to see the zipcodes that provided a particular service type. So if I choose "plumming" from the drop-down, and in my records there are 5 zipcodes that provided this service from <date range>, then I should expect to see (in the data viewer) only those 5 zipcodes after selecting plumming.

Can anyone help me? General pointers/tips on how to do this type of filter?

(I would love it if anyone can point me to a resource that talks about the topic of filtering records in filemaker. All the online resources I've found talk about filtering as it relates to portals. But what if I want to filter my records without using a portal?)

Other info:

My fm experience is limited (6 weeks)

Windows 7

FM Pro 15 Advanced

Thank you in advance.

Outcomes