1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 4:50 PM by JackRodges

Where are the fixes?

CICT

At the risk of prompting 'FileMaker doesn't comment on future releases' statement, we must be over halfway to the next release but, as primarily Windows developers, we still don't have a properly functioning version of FileMaker Pro/Pro Advanced v15.

Anyone with a large Windows installation that also runs MS Office (in other pretty much everyone) would have to go round every machine to remove fonts with capital letter file extensions as (potentially thousands) if running 15.0.3, a bug introduced with the update - potentially a massive overhead in terms of IT cost.

There has been a memory leak since the original release, that becomes critical when in layout mode, leaving no option but to exit and relaunch. This also could be a problem on a virtualised environment where users don't bother logging out at night gradually eating the server's memory requiring a complete server restart.

Surely, like FM Server, FileMaker could release patches? We're not looking for a major update, just the fixes to problems that have been acknowledged and have either been there since the release or have been introduced since the initial release.

It is fantastic that FileMaker are being so open with their future development path, but we can't but help suspect most of their effort is going in to the new features, rather than making the core product work properly in the first place, particularly on the Windows platform.

The last incremental update was back in September, surely it can't take 3 months to solve three capital letters and 7 months for a memory leak?

Some steam let off here following productivity dips due to having to constantly exit FileMaker and having to inform clients that their server needs yet another restart.

Feeling a little calmer now.

Andy

• 1. Re: Where are the fixes?
          fmpdude

Agree with you. I don't get delays like this, either.

A memory leak (by all appearances here) is a "hair on fire", "all hands on deck", "programmers fix the bug or don't go home until you do (pizza orders + coffee ensue)", kind of deal in every environment I've worked in....at least when users are suffering or it affects the application. In one place I worked, you could get awoken in the middle of the night to come in a fix a bug if a single user somewhere in the world was having an issue with "your code".

These delays are troubling. The lack of communication is troubling.

Maybe, perhaps, it's just a communication issue, but hopefully somebody is working on it (at least IDENTIFIED it). When Apple (in general) has an issue like this in, say, the iPhone, there's usually an IOS (point-release, at least) fix posted in a few weeks.

Hopefully fixes will be coming sooner than before.

Baffling.

• 2. Re: Where are the fixes?
            alecgregory

CICT wrote:

Anyone with a large Windows installation that also runs MS Office (in other pretty much everyone) would have to go round every machine to remove fonts with capital letter file extensions as (potentially thousands) if running 15.0.3, a bug introduced with the update - potentially a massive overhead in terms of IT cost.

Yes, I was really hoping for a swift fix to the font issue. Just to clarify, it was introduced in FileMaker Pro / Pro Advanced 15.0.2.

• 3. Re: Where are the fixes?
              CICT

Oops, you're right server is at 15.0.3 and Pro still at 15.0.2 - must have been wishful thinking ;-)

• 4. Re: Where are the fixes?
                fmpdude

So much for regression testing, eh?

• 5. Re: Where are the fixes?
                  siplus

What I find unacceptable is posting that "this bug / problem / issue reported about v.X has been fixed in v.Y", where Y > X. What we need is fixing v.X.ii in V.X.jj, not having to go to hundreds of clients and telling them that "to fix the problem you have (with the software we sold you, software based upon Filemaker) you've got to:"

- buy Filemaker 15 x n

- install OS X v m.n.o because the OS X a.b.c you got won't run Filemaker 15

- Buy new macs because the ones you have do not support OS X m.n.o

- downgrade your new macs to OS X g.h.i because with m.n.o your print button will turn into a save button and you're f'**ed.

downloading and installing a v.X updater to hundreds (almost thousands) of client computers over VPN and Remote Desktop / TeamViewer is a PITA enough, don't make it any harder pls.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Where are the fixes?
                    philmodjunk
                    because with m.n.o your print button will turn into a save button

According to a post that I have seen here in the forum, An OS update is supposed to correct this problem for FileMaker and the other affected applications.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Where are the fixes?
                      CICT

Hi Phil. Which one was that?

Thanks

Andy

• 8. Re: Where are the fixes?
                        CICT

Sorry guys, I used to be a car mechanic. I bought a tool such as a 13mm spanner and guess what? I need to tighten or loosen a 13mm bolt or nut and the spanner was my tool of choice (occasionally I could even sort out a 1/2" or 1/4 Whitworth even though the tool was not designed for it.

Now I am a software developer. I purchase tools, I have a problem to solve and I expect the tool I choose to resolve the problem in the same way. Yes, occassionslly I need a WD40 add on, but that is not the fault of the spanner, that is extarordinary circumstances. What I don't expect is the 13mm spanner to fail to fit a 13mm bolt/nut.

Software has a lot to learn!

Andy

• 9. Re: Where are the fixes?
                          JackRodges

Pardon me for this but it's late:

For All Software:

Rule 1: The new version is a bug fix for previous versions with new bugs added.

Rule 2: New versions are unstable until v3 or v4 and sometimes v6

Rule 3: If a version ever becomes really stable (Mac OS 8.5) it must be immediately replaced.

Rule 4: Extremely stable versions are bad for upgrade income.

Rule 5: Previous rules are unstable because no one has ever created stable software.

Rule 6: After bragging about 6 millions lines of bug proof code, NASA missed Mars by 75 miles.

• 10. Re: Where are the fixes?
                            JackRodges

Regarding red alert bug fixes, try reading the file that lists all of the 3rd party software that makes up FIleMaker Pro and FIleMaker Server...  If they break, what can FileMaker do until they fix it.

FileMaker Server suffered for years with Java problems.

Until Filemaker hires programmers to write ALL of its code and stops using these other bits of software, well, you guess...

• 11. Re: Where are the fixes?
                              jgalt

Just checking in to see what progress has been made with FileMaker after not touching it for months. Disappointed to see that it's still the same old story. Another major release without fixing critical issues. More price increases without delivering improvements to justify them. Ugh!

• 12. Re: Where are the fixes?
                                amysink

Moving to annual licensing now means not fixing the bugs since you can 'just' upgrade. That doesn't help you if you have a perpetual license. Any bug fixes should be also resolved in the versions that exposed those bugs as well.

• 13. Re: Where are the fixes?
                                  CICT

I'm afraid that will never happen. There are still bugs dating back years and many, many versions. We lost a £30k project due to an ActiveX bug relating to window opening, which I don't believe was ever fixed.

We were just so disappointed with the 15.0.2 update introducing the font bug. In our opinion v15 was one of the smoothest upgrades we've had for years, despite it not finishing the work started in v14 in terms of consistency of interface in the various calculation options, etc. We still remain on 15.0.1 due to the PDF/font problem, which means we've been waiting for 6 to 7 months for a working Windows update.

I haven't checked for other reports of this, but even on macOS Sierra the names of scripts disappear when using the search until clicking in the script list and that is on 15.0.2, so it isn't only the Windows versions with issues.

There appears to be far too much time focussed on headline grabbing features. Ironically with subscription and annual licenses there isn't any need for upgrades, minor updates could add features as well. In the past they needed a new version to tempt people to spend on the new product, but this is no longer necessary when payment is received monthly or annually for continued use.

Andy

• 14. Re: Where are the fixes?
                                    fmpdude

Nicely put.

I've totally ditched using companies' software who have moved with the SUBSCRIPTION-ONLY approach. That heavy-handed mindset is not for me. Adobe and TextExpander are two software examples that are no longer in my workflow at all.

Sorry, guys, but the SUBSCRIPTION-ONLY is about one (ah, kind of transparent) thing: MONTHLY CASH FLOW FOR THE COMPANY.

No thanks.

1 2 3 Previous Next