7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2016 11:31 PM by synergy46

FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)

synergy46

I suspect the answer is, without some heavy lifting, "you can't get there from here".  But, here goes anyway....

I have Members

I have Awards

It is a 1 to many relationship with Awards

It works

There are many Awards (Attendance, Best Harley) etc....  SOME of them are Milestone Awards (25 YR, 30 Yr etc)

awardsgrab.png

I have a report that has a filtered portal (filtered on: g25Yr, g30Yr... etc...)

Of course the portal is set to collapse when Print or Preview.  That works.

awardsreport.png

But, when in simple Browse mode there are useless, blank rows.   From what I read in various forums, there really isn't anyway to have the portal blank rows collapse except when in PREVIEW.  I need 10 rows because it is 'possible' that someone might receive all 10 Milestone Awards.  But, most of the time I only need a few rows in the portal....  Oh, the 'tragedy' of it all!

I suspect that unless I want to use virtual lists, I am stuck with this 'as is'

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
          mikebeargie

Correct, that is how portals work, they can expand with the anchoring options, but sliding of objects is not respected for any object in browse mode (it's a popular requested feature though).

Although if you just need to reference one field from the "child", you could use a simple calc of:

List( RelatedAwards::AwardName )

to create a plain text list of the awards. You would need to filter the relationship instead of filtering the portal, but that may be an acceptable substitute for you to hide the empty rows.

You could also mock up a "horizontal portal", by having 10 smaller single-row portals aligned from left to right, and then setting them to start on row 1,2,3,etc.. This way they are all on the same "row". Then you could even use "hide object when" to calculate a hide condition on the portal. EG Hide object when:

Count( RelatedAwards::AwardName ) < 10

to hide the last portal

I've actually used that horizontal portal row method to have an awards "row" of icons before.

• 2. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
            synergy46

Thanks for the idea.  This sounds like a technique I don't know about.

But, I don't understand what you mean when you say "...setting them to start on row 1,2,3,etc.. This way they are all on the same "row". "

How can they start on row 1,2,3 etc AND be on the same row? 

• 3. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
              keywords

This is a handy trick Mike has suggested. The portals are placed side by side across your layout. Each portal displays just one row and from left to right they display row 1, row 2, row 3 etc. Thus they give the appearance of a horizontal rather than vertical portal.

• 4. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
                mikebeargie

There is a setting under portal settings as to which “row” the portal should start on. This allows you to offset multiple portals that are next to each other. Think of a grid view of an image gallery ordered from 1-20. If the order of images went down each column, the first portal would be 1-5, the second portal would start at row 6 and go to 10, row 11-15, 16-20. Essentailly in each of those 4 portals, you set the starting row to be offset so it gives the appearance that you are loading lots of records in one area, but are doing so with native FileMaker portals.

• 5. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
                  philmodjunk

Another and simpler option:

set up a list view layout based based on the awards table. Put fields from members into:

1) a subsummary part sorted by member ID if you want to list multiple members.

2) header, footer and/or grand summary parts if you only want to show one member at a time.

Note that for 1) you must have your records sorted by member or the subsummary parts will not be visible.

• 6. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
                    synergy46

THE awards portal contains the 2 highlighted entries below.

In browse mode it looks unnecessarily filled with blank portal rows; ugly.

Portal.png

When I print this report it looks great; collapsed.

report.png

The report is based on Members and has subsummary breaks on:

Date Joined

Age in Years

Award Type

As noted, depending on the sort I can get a sub summary report that works but looks ugly.

If I base the report on Awards, and produce a sub summary on Awards I get only a single Award entry.

• 7. Re: FM 15 - Collapse portal rows in browse... (not preview)
                      synergy46

I don't see it. 

Why do you say "Thus they give the appearance of a horizontal rather than vertical portal."

Doesn't my example portal show that it is a HORIZONTAL portal?

My fields are:

Date

Award

Notes

Are you suggesting that I put those field in a vertical portal (Date on top followed by Award and the Notes below) 

Sorry I just don't see it.