6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 6:55 AM by philmodjunk

File Upload in bulk

coherentkris

Anyone got suggestions on how to upload fotos from Dropbox to FMS in bulk?

Will I have to rely on foto file naming conventions?

Can I script this with batch, PHP or javascript?

Anyone whos done this before want a nice bottle of single malt to give me some help creating a repeatable process?

K

• 1. Re: File Upload in bulk
          everyman

coherentkris wrote:

Anyone got suggestions on how to upload fotos from Dropbox to FMS in bulk?

Will I have to rely on foto file naming conventions?

Can I script this with batch, PHP or javascript?

Anyone whos done this before want a nice bottle of single malt to give me some help creating a repeatable process?

K

What are the parameters of "in bulk"?  Import into already-existing records?  Import into a new table?  Import and (somehow) add descriptive/searchable data to a text field?

I did this for a client a few years ago; I can probably dig out those scripts for you.

• 2. Re: File Upload in bulk
            coherentkris

import new records into a child table.

obviously must be matched with the right parent.

Never update an existing record.

Fill in one field in the child field record that represents the date of the foto that may or may not be in the metadata of the foto.

• 3. Re: File Upload in bulk
              philmodjunk

Import records with the folder option can import all image files in a folder into new records of a table. The next step would be to link those new records to the correct record. That might be easy if the file name has the info needed for this and not so easy if it does not.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File Upload in bulk
                coherentkris

philmodjunk

I had thought that file naming convention would be a significant piece. Thanks for the confirm.

• 5. Re: File Upload in bulk
                  fmpdude

I have a suggestion.

If you use an incredibly useful program like ExpanDrive (Mac and Windows versions), you can create a drive mapping to DropBox and access it just like any other drive.

Now, assuming your photos are in an external folder on your FMS server, you could also, using ExpanDrive, create a mapping to that server using SFTP or other.

Now, you have two drive mappings (or on the mac, two Volumes, but the same thing practically speaking).

You could:

1. Manually copy the files in Finder or Windows Explorer

OR

2. Use a sync utility to do that file transfer at some automated time. (I use Chronosync for stuff like this).

OR

3. Yes, even write Java code to transfer each file from DB -> FMS Server.

Using Java would give you the option to either:

A. Copy the files, intact, to some server directory (really just a programmatic file copy like you would do manually in "1" above).

OR

B. (Using JDBC) copy the actual field data from your local database to FMS directly.

----

A subset of the drive mappings (a subset since I can't grow the ExpanDrive window to show all at once) you can create in ExpanDrive, include:

(I use ExpanDrive all the time to create mappings for programs I want to run that need a "drive letter" (or Volume) to access remote servers.)

------

Hope you find some of this information useful.

• 6. Re: File Upload in bulk
                    philmodjunk

One of the more useful features of import records|folder is that you can populate more than the container field in the same import. You can populate a text field with the file name and use it either as a temporary match field or as the source of data used in a calculation to produce that temporary match field as a way to match up the image records to the correct record in your parent table.

1 of 1 people found this helpful