AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMP Performance - Old Macs?

Question asked by nrgsoft on Dec 18, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 by JackRodges

I have a client who has a mixture of around 15 workstations. Some are new, but many are older 2008 vintage Mac's running 10.10 or newer. All are running FMP v14 now, and the server is a multi-core windows box - cpu utilization is constantly low and will spike between 25-50%. All are networked on gigabit ethernet. General performance is fine when a few users are on the system, but when many workstations are present the older macs get beachballed frequently. We're not doing finds or anything on unstored calcs, but there are some unstored calcs present - moving the fields off screen brings back some speed, but the calcs are not anything too crazy - just SUM of some line items. We did try moving server to v15, but performance overall decreased with the v14 clients. We have tried moving the files off server and using just as a single user to gauge speed and it's far better than the hosted file. My assumption is these older macs should be replaced - slow cpu, low memory, etc. is causing them to thrash to disk and performance is dragged down because of that. I've not had issues like this anywhere else so I'd really like to get some feedback.

Outcomes