9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 9:56 AM by ZoocMan85

Free trial and deactivation after trial

horsechick48

Hi everyone. I have a FileMaker solution and we are using it with FileMaker Go. I have students that I would like to offer a 3 month free trial to. I would like to Set them up as a user with account name and password but want to deactivate their acco after 3 months if they don't elect to purchase.

How can I do this?

• 1. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
          ZoocMan85

A 3 month trial on your solution or on filemaker itself ?

• 2. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
            philmodjunk

Is the solution completely local to FM GO or does FM GO serve to function as the client of a server?

You can set up a solution local to GO that either counts the number of times that it has been opened or that logs the date that it was first opened and then checks that date regularly (and not just when opening the file as they might just leave the file open indefinitely) to determine when to deactivate by displaying a message and closing the file. But if they then install a new copy, that "clock" starts all over again--that may or may not be a problem depending on the purpose/function of your solution.

You can also set the solution to log into a server and log the date there--and set up scripts that refuse to do anything but close the file after the current date indicates that the trial period has expired. That server might be a database file hosted by FileMaker Server--what you might need anyway for your solution, or you might use insert from URL to do an API call to check such info on other types of systems.

And if this is a "synched" solution that syncs periodically to a server, this type of check can be built into the synch process where the script refuses to synch data after expiration and it can pull an expiration date from the server as the first item of data synched.

• 4. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
              horsechick48

I think a "clock" that checks the dates would make the most sense. Would this be a script?

• 5. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
                ZoocMan85

OK well if your solution , then i would have a webserver in the cloud that is running wordpress, download the plugin called license manager. You can have it generate license keys for your solution or have it hooked up via e commerce for people to buy your solution.

The way it works is you have to have filemaker send an HTTP POST to your webserver url with the serial key to get verified. I have mine working on a startup script to ping the server with the serial key to check if its still active. You can set it in license manager to have the license valid for a certain period of time.  Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
                  philmodjunk

Yes, a script can check a date field in a single record field and if it is empty, log the current date. Thereafter, various scripts (not just one that runs when the file is first opened) would need to compare that date to the current date to determine if the trial has expired. But note my comment that re-installing starts this "clock" all over again so that might not be sufficient, hence our suggestions that you might want to have the app check a server via one method or another to both "register" and set an expiration date.

• 7. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
                    ZoocMan85

Phil,

On Timer scripts tho never really work well unless you are running filemaker server or the application is never closed.

• 8. Re: Free trial and deactivation after trial
                      philmodjunk

I did not recommend using OnTimerScripts. Just scripts that record and check the date. The user clicks a button to change layouts, the script does that, but also checks the date. The user edits a field and OnCommitRecords checks the date...

And so forth. Doesn't take many of these to render the app useless once the expiration date has been reached.