10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 8:26 AM by sansae

Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes

sansae

Hi All,

Where is the scrollbar option for popovers?

I've searched all over the fm community and while I've come across a plethora of posts that talk about this topic, none of them have helped me solve my problem. I've also read through the Basic and Advanced FM Pro Training Series PDFs.

What I want is to just have a scrollbar appear inside my popover. I'm not using a portal inside my popover, instead I'm using a field that has a Checkbox Set as its control style. In the popover button setup dialog, I only see an option to "Show Title Bar". There is no option to display a scrollbar. I've also checked the Inspector (while having the popover selected), but I don't see any scrollbar options. I've also checked Inspector with the checkbox field selected.

I've read that if we take out the border for the popover, and set the padding to 0 all across, then the scrollbar will appear. I've also seen a working example to this problem, found here: Re: Scrollable Checkboxes  Yea!

Kaostika says to extend the field beyond the popover border and a (horizontal) scrollbar will appear. I've tried that, and while it works, it still requires some extra work before you can use the scrollbar. When you click on the popover, a horizontal scroll shows for about 1 second, then it disappears. In order to make it appear and use it, you have to place your cursor over the area where you see the scrollbar and then move your mouse wheel up and down to make it show again. Right when the scroll shows, leaving the cursor on top of the scroll will keep it showing. At that point, you can use it. That's a bit much for the end-users, and probably not very professional.

I'm sure Filemaker Pro has a scrollbar feature for the popover. I just haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Can anyone help me with this?

I'm using FM Pro 15 (a full version; not trialed)

Windows 7

My field of checkboxes contain 184 values (Kaostika's example contains over 900 values)

• 1. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
          philmodjunk

Are you trying to scroll the popover in FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go?

I've only been able to scroll a popover in GO, not Pro.

But for that many values, I'd find a check box based value list pretty unwieldy, I'd replace it with a portal where button formatting, scripting and Hide Object When settings reproduce a check box look and function, but since you now have a portal, you also have a scroll bar that may be used in both Pro and GO. You can also do things with the portal that you can't do with a simple check box format, such as sorting the values into more meaningful orders/groups than the simple ascending order that is your only option with a standard value list. You can also add a text field that serves as a search box such that entering text into it filters your list of available values down to just the values that either start with or contain the search text.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
            taylorsharpe

FYI, scrolling with your fingers works on a Mac with a touchpad or magic mouse.  As long as the Portal has been set to allow scrolling. 

• 3. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
              philmodjunk

Ok, but the question deals with a Popover that does not have a portal. (I'm recommending a change to a portal, but that's not what's in the original post.)

• 4. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                rgordon

FileMaker Pro does not have the kind of scroll bar feature for popovers that you would like to have.  You can use the arrow keys to navigate the popover.

• 5. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                  user19752

I'm not sure this depends on Windows system, but there is similar terrible UI in browser. Try googling "edge scroll bar disappears".

Now FM15v2 is worse than it, I can't re-appear scroll bar hovering mouse on it.

• 6. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                    sansae

Thank you for the response Phil. I find your posts to be always informative and overall just very helpful. Sorry for the late response. I went off and worked on other features for my db project.

philmodjunk wrote:

Are you trying to scroll the popover in FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go?

I'm doing the popover in FM Pro 15 Advanced.

philmodjunk wrote:

But for that many values, I'd find a check box based value list pretty unwieldy, I'd replace it with a portal where button formatting, scripting and Hide Object When settings reproduce a check box look and function, but since you now have a portal, you also have a scroll bar that may be used in both Pro and GO. You can also do things with the portal that you can't do with a simple check box format, such as sorting the values into more meaningful orders/groups than the simple ascending order that is your only option with a standard value list. You can also add a text field that serves as a search box such that entering text into it filters your list of available values down to just the values that either start with or contain the search text.

I decided to tinker with creating a portaled solution. Currently, I have the portal set up with two fields whose control styles are checkbox sets. The first checkbox field is Departments, which contains 21 values and are displayed vertically. Right next to it is another checkbox field named Services, which has 184 values. Right now, my portal takes up half my screen, which gives my database a cluttered look. I don't like this. Any suggestions on how to avoid it? Say if I wanted a portal that contained only the header + 5 rows where inside the 5 rows are the two fields, Departments and Services. Any way to create a portal that size and still allow the user to check off whichever department/service they'd like to see? The fields in my portal have been stretched out to show all the checkbox values and they currently occupy 16 rows. I'm going to shrink the portal down to 5 rows now. Let me see if that works... I'll be back......... Yikes. That didn't work. I shrunk the 22 rowed portal down to 5 rows and both the 2 fields now extend beyond the portal. (I thought that perhaps the portal would "capture" the two fields and shrink them according to the size of the portal.)

I should mention that the reason why I chose the "one tiny field that 'hides' a ton of values but shows up when user clicks on said field" approach was to avoid this cluttered problem. Hmmm. Maybe if I group the portal and the fields, then lock all three objects, and then shrink the portal from 22 rows down to 5?

I'll be back.

Thanks again, Phil.

• 7. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                      sansae

rgordon wrote:

FileMaker Pro does not have the kind of scroll bar feature for popovers that you would like to have. You can use the arrow keys to navigate the popover.

The arrow keys worked! Thank you for the response.

If the portal solution doesn't work, I think I'll just include a friendly message saying "to see all values, click on the portal and use the arrow keys". Hahaha

That just made me laugh.

Thanks rgordon

• 8. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                        sansae

"Hmmm. Maybe if I group the portal and the fields, then lock all three objects, and then shrink the portal from 22 rows down to 5?"

Never mind. I got the "op can't be applied cuz objects are locked" msg. Silly me.

• 9. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                          philmodjunk

That's not at all what I am recommending.

You would have one portal table record for each possible check box value. You would not use any actual check box formatting. Instead, you set up buttons to click and use Hide Object When + Scripting to get the needed "check box behavior". Basically, you put a picture of a "tick mark" on top of your button--which can be just a square created by the rectangle tool, with a Hide object when expression that hides it when the portal record's value is not a member of the list of selected values. A script set up on the button checks the list field to see if the value has already been selected and removes the value if it has. If the value is not in the list, it appends it to the list--thus mimicking the look and feel of check boxes.

See the "checkboxes with scroll bars" examples in this tutorial file:

Adventures in FileMaking #2-enhanced value selection

This file comes with many different working examples and each has detailed documentation on how they were set up and how they work.

• 10. Re: Scrollable Popover for Checkboxes
                            sansae

philmodjunk wrote:

That's not at all what I am recommending.

See the "checkboxes with scroll bars" examples in this tutorial file:

Adventures in FileMaking #2-enhanced value selection

Will do. Thanks Phil.